Ideas for next project: barometer/temp/humidity etc

Hey all.

I am on my next little project: a barometer/temp/humidity with clock and weather prediction depending pin trends. The circuit and code are almost done; the enclosure will be hell to make (my least favourite part). But what do you all think of the layout I have in mind?

1 Like

It looks seriously flash, and more than I would be game to do but, seeing that you find it the hard part, you might consider doing it all with a single touch screen, thereby taking a giant leap into the twenty first century.

1 Like

Oh but it’s exactly this retro look I’m after. I love 7-segment LED displays and discrete LEDs! Blinkenlights!

Incidentally, the serious point is that I feel that these discrete displays are much more clear than any LCD displays. Much higher contrast ratio, for a start. So it’s not just the coolness Factor :slight_smile:

That will be nice when it is real.

What is the interpretation of the "trend" lamps?

And indoor comfort, red if too cold, too hot, too humid, too dry &c.?

My Mom had overlapping constraints; essentially she had no comfort zone yellow or green, it was perennially always too something.

a7

Thanks. Yes, and the code is already working. Just the mechanics now... wil take me a forever.

The comfort zones are calculated as per the best generally accepted standards I have found:

As for the prediction: as per the standards I have found in naval and meteorological publications. It is mainly the speed of the increase or decrease of the air pressure, combined with things like the season that determines what is likely to be about to happen.

Fun! But as said, now the box is a huge obstacle. The LED displays need a lot of panel space...

M

1 Like

Oh and the trend is the amount of increase/decrease in pressure over a one hour and over a three hour period. Again, using accepted standards as far I can source.

M

I made a panel once with with big 10mm dia discrete LEDs. It looked much more retro - similar to the old filament bulb indicators - than it would have if I'd used 5mm dia LEDs.

1 Like

...so it's hPa/hr (or hPa/3hr).

And I added LEDs:

The notable (for sailors and meteorologists) limits for increase/decrease are:
0-1.5: no significant change
1.5-3: rising
3-6: rising fast
more than 6: rising extremely fast

Somewhat like this (this is only one source: I weigh the academic sources with citations more heavily, but this gives you an idea):

I’ve improved the effect of several blinking light devices by fading in and out the LEDs rather than snapping them on and off.

Didn’t think they would, but regular people notice it.

Play with the rates. I use an abstraction so I have LED objects that you can just turn on, then my main loop animation rate runs little fader state machines.

a7

2 Likes

That's brilliant! Yes, a lot of thought goes into flash frequency, etc...

I love the appearance of the project. Are you looking for ideas of how to construct it?

Here's one: Find an appropriately sized picture frame to mount it in. Have a circuit board made to mount everything on and make sure the tops of the LEDs are all at the same level so when pressed against the glass they all just touch it. Find someone who prints labels on vinyl sheet and have them print something to go over the glass with cut outs for the display and the text etc you need.

Glass will be a problem for the switches so you could replace it with clear plastic sheet, which you can then drill.

Please show us photos of the finished project, looking forward to seeing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I asked a question like that in the magazine New Scientist, I have often wondered why it is I find 20 degrees in my living room cold in winter and warm enough in summer. I got some answers to my question, but that chart adds more to the answers I got, thank you!

Thanks! And yes - I certainly am. Normally I'd find a box and 3D-print my own front for it. But I can't find any box with the right shape and especially size front panel - so far.

Yes, circuit board is a good idea. Any suggestions? Lots of offerings, so I am not sure who is good and who isn't...

M

Make you own:

1 Like

I am happy with https://jlcpcb.com/

1 Like

Yes JLCPCB is good.
They also offer the online PCB program EasyEDA.

PCBWAY IS ANOTHER.
https://www.pcbway.com/

Both take about 5 days to receive your boards from the time you send them the gerber files.

I use DHL for the courier.

1 Like

Will do. Excellent idea!

(Larry, I find DHL have the worst "admin/customs clearance charges"... )

I totally agree. They have to be the worst delivery company going.

However, it seems China PCB companies love them, go figure.

So do Americans. It's DHL Canada that are the horrible rip-off artists. CBC TV did an exposé on them not so long ago. But yes, China and the USA love them...