Ideas you'll never finish

Similar to the “never make” thread, but with a twist. List project(s) you’ve actually started but will likely not complete, and the reasons why.

Turning my Dell Mini Netbook into a Hackintosh.

Reasons:

• I don’t like OSX, I was only going to do it to see if I could
  • It just takes too much time
  • I’ve tried a few times, but have problems with my external DVD drive

:slight_smile:

Turning my Dell Mini Netbook into a Hackintosh.

Greetings from OSX on my Dell Mini. ;D

I’m a bit ticked tho 'cause the netbook is of relatively poor quality than other competitors (grrr… it’s a damn dell), but it’s also the only netbook that runs OSX smoothly - I suppose it’s a love/hate thing

Now back the thread:

I started a touchscreen controller for a pathfinding robot… finished the UI on the touchscreen, never got to the robot/pathfinding part of the job

but it’s also the only netbook that runs OSX smoothl

Greetings from my OSX on my Lenovo S10, running perfectly and with a very effortless install! :wink:

but it’s also the only netbook that runs OSX smoothly

My friend has the HP mini 110 and that runs OSX smoothly :slight_smile:

Right back on topic.

I will probably not finish ny UGV for many years as although I have it mostly planned out, it will be a lot of money and time. I also need to get hold of a CNC milling machine for a load of the aluminium parts.

Mowcius

I sit corrected - from what I’ve read while shopping for a netbook to run OSX (perhaps this was true only at the time), the mini 10v was the only netbook to run every feature of OSX without issue. I suppose now all that’s left for me to do is find my warranty card and…

There are many netbooks that run it well now. It has just taken a bit of time to get all of the drivers sorted for some of the devices. I think there was an issue with something or other on the HP mini but I can’t remember what it was.

Mowcius

I think the Dell Mini 9 (which is what I have) was the first to run it, and as far as I know there are no problems (at least not ones that aren’t easily fixed).

But, as I said, I dislike OSX enough for me to just not feel like doing it.

replacing all the LEDs in all the devices in my house with RGB LEDs.

I got a couple done but looking at all the devices in my house with LEDs and with new Purchases it will take for ever to complete the task.

My friend has the HP mini 110 and that runs OSX smoothly

I saw that, remembered this, and thought “Well, glaciers move smoothly…”.

I saw that, remembered this, and thought “Well, glaciers move smoothly…”.

;D

I dislike OSX enough for me to just not feel like doing it.

Well you mentioned in another thread how young you were so all I can say is that one day you will learn to distinguish what quality is.

Well you mentioned in another thread how young you were so all I can say is that one day you will learn to distinguish what quality is.

Maybe it’s just when you get old you lose track of what sense is ;D
hehe

Can I participate in the hijack of my own thread?

To me, OSX is the ultimate daily use OS for PCs. It’s got the free-spirited, powerful, and stable Unix heart, but in a nice “no screwing around required” commercial wrapper, with good support from the vendor and software community. It’s like Unix and Windows had a lovechild, and it got the best genes from each parent.

Ideas I will never finish?

All of them! So far I haven’t made anything I would call finish, finish like in totally 100% done and not possible to make better.

of them! So far I haven’t made anything I would call finish, finish like in totally 100% done and not possible to make better.

Well I have finished things but every so often I like to go back an modify it and change things to make it better. :wink:

I don’t think anything’s ever completely finished.

Everything! I’m really bad at finishing things. I’ve spent years saying if I had a clone who had been adjusted to enjoy finishing projects as much as I enjoy starting them we’d be unstopable!

some ongoing projects:

• Homemade data projector. Got an OHP, got an old laptop. Never quite got round to making it.
  • Airfix. I thought I’d give airfix a go. Bought an RAF over the years kit of five or six models. Built the first (smallest) one, never got round to putting the decals on.
  • Clock. Recently made a clock thing, intended to tidy the back up so it’s not obvious and the power light doesn’t show. Never bothered (though at least the clock works).

I could go on forever. In fact, I think the only thing I’ve finished to my satisfaction was a blog for a friend. She asked for it on Sunday and I finished it last night - she nearly died when I told her it was done. After I went to bed last night I kept thinking of adjustments I should make :frowning:

On the OSX debate:

I’ve just never found Apple operating systems to be as “Intuitive” as they claim. Plus the over-priced hardware, OBNOXIOUS ad campaign, and just my overall dislike of Steve Jobs have probably led me to this conclusion :P.

Plus the fact that they just released a piece of outdated technology for more than something that’s up-to-date is shockingly frustrating. Not to mention all the fanboys who ran in line and drank the metaphorical koolaid.

The slimmed-down-Lua interpreter for Arduino.

All going great… until I got bored and decided I didn’t really need it anyway.

I have a teaching equipment idea and put it on a breadboard. But I was dreaded because I wanted to hook up 16 LEDs on a circle with some coils around the circle. Too many wires to connect, different lengths. Have to make a nice housing for the 16 LEDs. Ahh. Now a part of it is still sitting on my main breadboard. I moved on to a photogate shield and actually got it on PCB and tested it. It worked. I consider this shield finished. I will however make an updated version with just atmega328 chip and support parts to skip out the duemilanove board for lower cost. Wish me good luck on it. I think that unfinished project was my first arduino project. Hope to get a closure on it still.