Identify OPs posts within a thread - different colour, perhaps?

I think it would be very useful if the OPs original and subsequent posts within a thread were identified in some way - such as using a different colour font for his/her name.

I regularly find myself having to scroll back to the top of the thread to check whether a post I am reading is by the OP or someone else. And it's even more difficult if the thread has expanded to 2 or 3 pages.

...R

Yes I think this is a good idea, I too have the same problem.
How about the thread title changes colour?

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes I think this is a good idea, I too have the same problem.
How about the thread title changes colour?

That would certainly be clearer.

Some time ago, one of the moderators complained (pm) to me about my practice of changing the title in responses to the original post.

I have thought about this a bit and I find that criticism absolutely absurd!

Each response has a title (though they are not shown in the "post reply" listing), and not to use that title entry for a meaningful comment, but to have it repeated ad nauseam for every following posting, is a complete waste of screen space and if anything, confusing to read (as it makes each reply less distinguishable when scrolling). Clearly, someone was feeling particularly anal-retentive that day. :smiley:

Clearly, someone was feeling particularly anal-retentive that day.

Might have been you. I don’t like when you change the thread title, either.

Paul:
Did you ask, or did the moderator tell you why he didn't like you to do that.
Could it be that the reason behind this isn't as much reading the page, but let's say searching or moderating might get harder to do ?
I don't know, but you seem to have formed an opinion towards that moderator.
If you didn't ask or weren't told why, your opinion might be wrong.
Communication is important, and any glitch in that can lead to unnecessary friction.
And if such miscommunication leads to assumptions things might get worse.

PaulS:
Might have been you. I don't like when you change the thread title, either.

Why perchance - do you thrive on repetition?

MAS3:
Could it be that the reason behind this isn't as much reading the page, but let's say searching or moderating might get harder to do ?

Care to explain how that could happen?

I have given my reasons in suggesting that the "title" field can be usefully employed to add information to the discussion - by giving a synopsis or theme of a reply. As best I can figure, that is exactly why such a thing is included in the "forum" structure in the first place.

Searching becomes less useful when the potential search term is repeated unnecessarily, and locating or coming back to a particular theme is not facilitated when repetitious material is (considerably) more prominent than such things as the reply number. Have you ever seen someone refer to a prior reply by number, and then actually paged back to find that reply number and noticed how it is anything but prominent?

Interesting point - do you recall offhand how many replies are contained in each page when they exceed the first?

Aaaaaaand back on topic....

I think identifying the OP's subsequent posts is a very good idea. Some time ago, I responded in a thread and a subsequent poster tried to engage me as if I had been ther OP. So yeah, that idea gets my vote.

JimboZA:
Aaaaaaand back on topic....

I think identifying the OP's subsequent posts is a very good idea. Some time ago, I responded in a thread and a subsequent poster tried to engage me as if I had been their OP. So yeah, that idea gets my vote.

But - just not yellow!

Well that depends on the background colour, but ok 8)

I agree with this idea. I however would opt for the entire background of all the thread starters post's be a different colour, not heavy, just a shade of colour.