Identify specific vehicle & counting

hi all, I am new to here.

I am working as web developer & we make IT solutions in various technical field. like cctv, etc.

Now I have client & he need to create some system.

Need to identify specific vehicle using No plate or I can set to some device to vehicle.

Then that vehicle pass some specific point ( this point is not change. Fixed point ) our system need to count no of times these vehicle are passed this point.

After these data need to get via computer programme. I can wire Network cable or other cable.

Have any idea how can do this ?

please help me. sorry for bad English. hope you understand.

Please do not cross-post. Other thread removed.

The easiest solution is to put a giant barcode on the side of the vehicle. Add an outdoor laser scanner and you're ready for business.

Thanks for your help.

I check it. That scanner is $ 5500. it's high price for me.

I have an idea. I don't know is it working.

we can fixed some frequency output device ( ex : like one vehicle 200 mhz, other 400 mhz, ...... ). after we fixed frequency detector to identify & counting this signals.

after we can send these data to pc.

is this device can made with arduino or can we buy ?

what is you idea ?

How many vehicles? You will run out of frequencies very quickly unless you use some coding, like a garage door controller.

Race tracks use timing systems to do exactly this. Most of them rely on transponders on the cars and a buried loop at the start/finish line.

thanks for reply.

maximum no of vehicle will 4.

These vehicle are pass some point. actually they bring some load ( stone ) to machine & then unload to machine. Then they go to bring next load.

so.. I need to able change frequency detect range. Next able to change frequency detect time ( ex : vehicle never return within ( ex:5 min ) again to machine. then they are return we don't need to count this one. because they are not loaded vehicle. only count load vehicle.

Hope you understand.

Thanks.

The problem is to localize the ID to the measuring point. A camera and software that can read number plates would be ideal - but that is far beyond the capability of an Arduino.

An Arduino option might be to have an Arduino in the vehicle that uses InfraRed to transmit an ID message - different messages for different vehicles. This Thread might be useful. IR has the great advantage of short range and the possibility of direction control. With receivers on either side of the measuring point you will automatically know the vehicle direction.

...R

What about the transducers that they use on car race tracks? Basically RFID I guess, but not sure how close the transducer has to be to the reader.

(Funnily enough, one of the (if not the) first uses of bar codes was to paint stripes on railway cars. The painter had a thick and a thin brush for the 2 widths of stripe. I forget what the symbology was or became.)

isn't this super simple ?

each vehicle gets an arduino nano and wireless transponder. vehicle #1 continuously broadcasts a serial number. vehicle #2 continuously broadcasts a serial number. all devices are on batteries. all vehicles pass a checkpoint with red or green lights.

50 feet/ 15 meters sould be easy with line of sight for the nrf24

base has receiver and data logger. a red or green light to indicate proper sensing of vehicle.

once presencece is verified, an absence of 10 minutes until it can be tallied again. to eliminate a false count. it wold be possible to add load cell and send vehicle weight. a second receiver 5 meters away could detect direction. this could handle thousands of vehicles.

dave-in-nj: each vehicle gets an arduino nano and wireless transponder.

I thought about that but I don't like the idea of a vehicle driving all over the place unnecessarily spewing out radio frequency noise.

Hence my idea to use InfraRed.

Of course if the driver can switch the nano on and off that would be different.

...R

50 foot range ? not too much spewing, I think.

of course the stationary (stationery?) receiver could pulse out and any passing receiver that senses the pule could send it's signal out.

I thought abou ir, but I have no experiance with ir in the rain or fog.

If you'll accept using a video camera, Roborealm offers a lot of ways to implement identifying a tag (barcode or other fiducial) and its position. It has an extensive API to perform things like HTTP requests when the tag crosses an imaginary line or point. So basically it's $160 for the software, plus a Windows computer to run it on, a camera, and a bunch of stickers for the vehicles.

Chagrin:
If you’ll accept using a video camera, Roborealm offers a lot of ways to implement identifying a tag (barcode or other fiducial) and its position. It has an extensive API to perform things like HTTP requests when the tag crosses an imaginary line or point. So basically it’s $160 for the software, plus a Windows computer to run it on, a camera, and a bunch of stickers for the vehicles.

Chagrin:
If you’ll accept using a video camera, Roborealm offers a lot of ways to implement identifying a tag (barcode or other fiducial) and its position. It has an extensive API to perform things like HTTP requests when the tag crosses an imaginary line or point. So basically it’s $160 for the software, plus a Windows computer to run it on, a camera, and a bunch of stickers for the vehicles.

yes I can use video camera. cost is ok. can you please provide more details how can do it ?

Thanks for all reply & try to help me. I am still looking great way to do this.

dave-in-nj: station*ary (statione*ry?)

The word with the "a" is the adjective and the other word is a noun

This rule applies in other cases also - eg person*a*l vs personnel

...R

Easiest way to remember that particular one, is that someone who sells pens and pencils will be a station*Er not a stationA*r.

This project has vision processing screaming out for it...

Obviously, no need for arduino - and if you put a bit of work into it, no need for markers on the cars, but they will make it easier though.

$$ = nice webcam

Check out the openCV and DLIB libraries for python and C++, they both have good forums also

stackoverflow also has a lot of chat re. these libraries and very likely similar project specs - cars are discussed quite commonly

JimboZA: Easiest way to remember that particular one, is that someone who sells pens and pencils will be a station*Er not a stationA*r.

so... a pilot who sells pEns and pEncils will sell stationEry...... THANKS !

Robin2: The word with the "a" is the adjective and the other word is a noun

This rule applies in other cases also - eg person*a*l vs personnel

...R

nice ! I think these rules passed me by as a child.

hope I can remember them now as I grow.

1:1: This project has vision processing screaming out for it...

Obviously, no need for arduino - and if you put a bit of work into it, no need for markers on the cars, but they will make it easier though.

$$ = nice webcam

Check out the openCV and DLIB libraries for python and C++, they both have good forums also

stackoverflow also has a lot of chat re. these libraries and very likely similar project specs - cars are discussed quite commonly

I am thinking of the easiest way for a newbie to get up and running. one transmitter per vehicle is easy to duplicate, only needing to alter the code for the serial number. all the testing can be done at the desk. not sure how vision works in the rain, snow or fog. at night an IR light would be needed ?