Identifying boot loader

I have a (G3) uno (extra pins) and its currently programmed with test code for a led project.

I have 3 more mega chips for this board that are lab led up as (UNO) but how do I tell what boot loader is actually installed if i just swap the chips around?

P.S. I hope that above makes sense.

I think you can not identify the boot loader ... :roll_eyes: You can buy a programmer (or use an Arduino as ISP) and rewrite the bootloader with the Arduino IDE. That way you are sure you have latest bootloader.

By the way, the version is "R3" : " Arduino Uno R3"

Peter_n: I think you can not identify the boot loader ... :roll_eyes: You can buy a programmer (or use an Arduino as ISP) and rewrite the bootloader with the Arduino IDE. That way you are sure you have latest boot loader.

Oh ok, thanks.

Peter_n: By the way, the version is "R3" : " Arduino Uno R3"

opps typo

You can get a good idea which bootloader you have using avrdude, because part of the protocol reports the "Firmware Version", and it will show up in the "verbose" upload dialog:

Using Programmer              : arduino
   :
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
   :
avrdude: Recv: . [14] 
avrdude: Recv: . [03] 
avrdude: Recv: . [10] 
         Hardware Version: 3
         Firmware Version: 6.0

Programmer = arduino distinguishes between the regular bootloader and the MEGA bootloader (which will say "wiring" or "stk500v2") The Baud rate then distinguishes between Optiboot (usually 115200) and Atmegaboot (57600 or less), and the "Firmware Version" between the various versions of Optiboot. (But not atmegaboot, which will say 3.3 regardless of which version of that bootloader you have.) There was an Optiboot 3.3 relatively briefly (after Uno and before 1.0?), but most Unos will have v4.4 (The 4.4 source and .hex files are what you get inside the Arduino IDE install.) If you have a non-standard platform (m1284 based, for example), you may have a newer version of Optiboot. (If you've built and installed a custom version of Optiboot, the version number may not reflect that. I haven't quite figured out how to have it generate customer-specific version numbers.)

The MEGA bootloader doesn't have a version number (grr), but you can distinguish between the two versions that are "in the wild" from the "Monitor mode" behavior.

True, but if you have a programmer, why not write a new bootloader instead ?