Identifying leads of a 6 wire stepper motor

I have a 12V 6 wire stepper motor of which I wanted to identify leads for proper connection, I followed the usual multimeter test and followinf are my results
Asuuming 6 leads as A,B,C,D,E,F

A-B : infinite resistance
A-C : infinite resistance
A-D : 21.8 ohms
A-E : infinite resistance
A-F : infinite resistance

C-F : 21.8 ohms

but I am not getting only infinite resistance with other combination like A-B, B-D, C-E,E-F
I am not able to identify the centre taps for coils
Please help me with this :frowning:

First shot should be to check, if you find the precise industrial naming of your motor and then try to get the datasheet.

If this is not possible, please re-post your measurements again including all values, as I didn’t understand what you said with

but I am not getting only infinite resistance with other combination like A-B, B-D, C-E,E-F

Did you say, there “are” or there “are not” infinite resistance(s) with the other combinations?
If there ARE other values in the lower Ohms range, then we are on track. If not - then we have an issue here.

So, pls re-post including ALL measurements.

If B-E is 21.8 ohms then you've got a three phase stepper. Or possibly a three phase brushless motor, but more likely a stepper.

See 20N.m 1.2Degree 183mm Length 4.0A Hybrid stepper motor for an example. Looks just like a bipolar or unipolar stepper so it's easy to be deceived.

ymos:
I have a 12V 6 wire stepper motor

A-B : infinite resistance
A-C : infinite resistance
A-D : 21.8 ohms
A-E : infinite resistance
A-F : infinite resistance

C-F : 21.8 ohms

If that's all you're getting, then maybe that is good news. You could then try to use this stepper as a 4 wire typical bipolar stepper. Could just ignore B and E.

Just check B-A, B-C, E-A, E-C and B-E - if all open-circuit you don't have to check any others.

6 wires might be a 6-wire stepper, it might be a 4-wire stepper with a temperature probe.

The way to check these things is check A against B,C,D,E,F, and write down the
connections, then check B against C,D,E,F, write down any connections.
then C against D,E,F, etc.

Then you have the topology and can recheck any non-infinite resistances to figure
out centre-taps.