Identifying MaxBotix EZ-range sensors via serial

Hi - I have a load of MaxBotix EZ sensors of the 12XX series, and I can't phyiscally distinguish them from one another. MaxBotix have confrimed the different models are physically identical and have told me I have to interface with them via serial to work out which is which (yeah...).

Most of us are probably using PWM or analog output of these, but I've looked at some serial interfacing code on here, which works, but it only gives me the range.

Does anybody know how to retrieve the model number over RS232?

Thanks!

The UART version of the MaxBotix sensors (series EZ-AE) doesn’t provide an identification on the serial interface.

There might be commands for the I2C version of the sensors that allow (series EZ-I2CXL) to read an ID but the documentation doesn’t tell about that. Ask the vendor for assistance.

Thanks for your reply. I don't doubt that you're correct, but that's the opposite of what MaxBotix support are telling me. They've said:

"The serial data that comes out of pin 5 on powerup will display the exact part number as part of the boot up data. This does not require any special command but is only available on the serial data."

But they aren't furnishing me with code that I can test their assertion with. I will post any code they send up here or any solution I find incase anyone has the same problem in the future.

"The serial data that comes out of pin 5 on powerup will display the exact part number as part of the boot up data. This does not require any special command but is only available on the serial data."

Which exact series are we talking about? At least neither of the two I mentioned. Post a link to the datasheet of the series you have (or you think you have)!