IDE's wrong charset???

Hi there!

Since my PC's SSD (OS drive) more or less died, I was forced to a fresh reinstall and so installed Arduino (1.8.10) again. Everything went fine, but as soon as the editor came up I noticed this:

WTF.png

What's this? What language is this supposed to be? It was supposed to be spanish, but I think no one in our entire planet will manage to read this mess.

I'll be listening for any possible solutions.

Thanks and regards!

WTF.png

:o

Have you tried deleting the preferences file?

Take a look at the preference file.

Try this:

1. Take care that Arduino IDE is not running.

2. Try to find the file “preferences.txt”
    You can find the file here:
    On a Windows PC: C:\Users*<the_Username>\AppData\Local\Arduino15\preferences.txt
    On a Mac: Macintosh HD/Users*/<the_Username>/Library/Arduino15/preferences.txt

3. Open the file preferences.txt (double click)

4. Within the file find the line starting with
    editor.languages.current

For Spanish the line should look like this:
editor.languages.current=es

For English it should look like this:
editor.languages.current=en

1. Change the line to your needs. Save the file and exit text editor.

2. Start Arduino IDE

Good luck, I hope this can help.

*) If your operating system is Spanish, you may use the appropriate name for “Users” in Spanish

rtek1000:
Have you tried deleting the preferences file?

Yes and... still the same

uxomm:
4) Within the file find the line starting with
editor.languages.current

For Spanish the line should look like this:
editor.languages.current=es

For English it should look like this:
editor.languages.current=en

Done but no luck yet :frowning:

Changing languages appears to do something since the text did changed as well; but still it's the same mess like if it were an entire new font or whatever.
If changing the font only affects how the messy characters look, then I think it might be a decoding issue because that reminds me when the IDE and serial monitor on a western-language OS tries to decode, for example, russian characters encoded in the "extended-ASCII" space (0x80 - 0xFF) to fit as 8-bit character strings.

Strange.
Where did you get the Arduino IDE from?
From here? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
I always use the Windows ZIP file for non admin install.
No installation needed and you can have several versions of Arduino IDE on your computer.
Just unpack the zip file to a directory on your pc and double click "arduino.exe".

uxomm:
Where did you get the Arduino IDE from?
From here? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Yes, and I choose the installer version.

uxomm:
I always use the Windows ZIP file for non admin install.
No installation needed and you can have several versions of Arduino IDE on your computer.
Just unpack the zip file to a directory on your pc and double click "arduino.exe".

Right, I've forgot that a "portable" version do exist (along with a "portable" version of a JRE).

And nope, still the same nonetheless. Looks like the problem is somewhere else?

Have you tried running any other Java applications?

Like which one? I have some ideas but I'm not sure if the menu bar will be the same as the IDE's one to test that out.

I do not know which operating system and java you use, but I found this post:

I have installed FIJI on a linux (ubuntu 15.10) distribution. My problem is that some menu texts are missing or unreadable (look like barcodes). I suspect a java issue, or missing font file.

I have the same issue on Gnome Ubuntu 15.10… Any other ideas of how to solve this issue? Edit: Just installed openjdk-8-jre and ran with: ./ImageJ-linux64 --java-home /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64 and then menu fonts are correct…

Ref.: Unreadable menu text - font or java or what else issue? - Usage & Issues - Image.sc Forum

rtek1000:
Have you tried running any other Java applications?

Now I did, and exactly the same issue. So it isn't the IDE's fault.

rtek1000:
I do not know which operating system and java you use, but I found this post:

Yeah I've forgot to mention that. I'm running Windows 10 and whatever JRE was shipped with the IDE. Installed the OpenJDK's JRE 8 but still no fix for both Java programs I've tried.

UPDATE: the cliffhanger is over, now I've managed to fix it!

Identified cause: Windows 10 UI's default font wasn't the usual one (it should be "Segoe UI" or any of its variants, but instead it was set to "Calibri"). This happened because I've installed a slightly modded (and supposedly improved) W10 that for some reason has to touch some "deeper" UI settings.

Solution: a registry tweak that apparently sets this "UI's default font". In the following picture, you can see what I did (Win+R, then type "regedit", then hit Enter):

The underlined on the top is the ("folder") path I've had to go, then the underlined on the middle-bottom is the key I had to select and the value (a string indeed) I've set.

As you can see, this key has to have a string that starts with "Segoe UI"; but don't just change it as seen, you have to make sure whatever font name is set here, is actually installed (check that out at Control Panel > Fonts); otherwise you might break something at log-in time (while attempting to load the desktop), although not in boot time (from the circling white dots until passed the login screen).
Hence why I didn't just typed "Segoe UI", a font with that exact name isn't installed in my OS; but the "Emoji" variant works as well since I think is an extension of the original (same thing but added some emoji graphs in order to display them properly when using this font).

Finally it was just a matter of rebooting and done! No longer I have to guess what board, recent sketch or library example I've choosen! :smiley:

I hope my solution helps anyone else in the future...

Regards!