If you could have 1 logged sensor on an Arduino in a space voyage...

...what would it be?

Radiation detector - fix that leak!

Alien detector.

-- The Rugged Circuits Yellowjacket: 802.11 WiFi module with ATmega328P microcontroller, only 1.6" x 1.2", bootloader

Gas detector to monitor air quality - recall Apollo 13 -

If enough space allowed, big tank of heavy water to detect neutrino for science. If not enough space, active human detector, hooked to self-destruction system that counts from 30 to 0 and blows the ship up if it fails to detect active human brain waves (my dead man's switch in case of alien infiltration of some sort that could mind-control humans and turn them into drones that lead the aliens to Earth). ]:D Kaboom!

I would log amount of fuel remaining Vs required for return journey. Anything else is nice but wouldn't matter in the big picture. ;)

Lefty

Interesting ideas everyone,

I started this topic just after it came up in an Adafruit chat, I see that some of you also heard it there too.

I didn't mean to have an Arduino on a rocket or space ship, I meant it as a logged high (very high) altitude weather balloon trip. I personally like the idea of a radiation detector or geiger counter as suggested by CrossRoads.

Nice idea to have a geiger on the balloon:

The cosmic-radiation dose rate on airplanes is so high that, according to the United Nations UNSCEAR 2000 Report, airline flight crew workers receive more dose on average than any other worker, including those in nuclear power plants.

Alien detector.

:D

Umm, Pressure sensor hasn't been mentioned.

physics-dude: Interesting ideas everyone,

I started this topic just after it came up in an Adafruit chat, I see that some of you also heard it there too.

I didn't mean to have an Arduino on a rocket or space ship, I meant it as a logged high (very high) altitude weather balloon trip. I personally like the idea of a radiation detector or geiger counter as suggested by CrossRoads.

So the space voyage is a bit of an overstatement then. Google high altitude balloon and you might get some new ideas. People have been sending all sorts of stuff with balloon. I wonder if johnwasser is around to answer this. He's definitely been involved in this type of experiments.

Lie detector.

Then you’d know if the truth is out there, or not :stuck_out_tongue:

There is truth everywhere sufficiently far away from humans.

Kinda missed the X-files reference there liudr?

CrossRoads: Kinda missed the X-files reference there liudr?

CrossRoads, I didn't watch many x-files. Care to share the reference? My entire TV watching history inEnglish started in 2000 and didn't include extended cable until about 3 years ago ;)

Fox Mulder had a big sign on his wall "The Truth is Out There", another wit "I believe", picture of a flying saucer. He was after the aliens that abducted his sister when he was a kid, working the X-Files with in the FBI. All the bizarre unexplained kinds of cases. Good rerun watching, or you can get it on DVD now too I think.

wikipedia: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_%28The_X-Files%29 -

Another 'detector' might be a simple clock ...

Another 'detector' might be a simple clock ...

It would help if it was a weather balloon, logging data. For a space flight though, things would get more complex, surely? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars From wikipedia, a martian year is almost twice as long as an earth year, therefore, you would need an entirely different calendar...

I'd want a gyroscope, personally. (The spinning ones, not the angle sensor ones). If you set it spinning at a certain angle, it will stay at that angle. Without being able to use the Earth's gravity as a direction guide in space, you will need some other method. A gyroscope can do this job.

Onions.