I'm completely new to Arduino and need help

Hey, I had a great idea for the Arduino, combining three principle ingredients: Arduino, POV technology, and pico projectors.

It would be similar in concept to spinning POV displays like those found on hackaday (look up "ceiling fan pov," "RGBike pov," and "RGBike pov 2")

The idea is to attach it to a fan, but put in a pico projector, not little LEDs. That way one could project the image/video on a wall, instead of viewing a simple animation or pattern on the blades.

There are some other more complex ideas for this to be expanded into, but being new to Arduinos, I though I would stick with the basics:

The Arduino would be used to keep track of the fan's position for the POV part, and then it would just be timing the projector's images. The feeds for the projector would be separate.

Jordan,

Your enthusiasm is commendable and it's great that you can see the phenomenal potential of a physical computing platform like the Arduino: but as the old saying goes . . . you've got to walk before you can run.

A really great way to get started with the Arduino is to work your way through the free E-book, “The Complete Beginners Guide to the Arduino” by Mike McRoberts of Earth Shine Design. http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/10-arduino-duemilanove-compatible-starter-kit.html

Completing all the exercises in this publication will give you a good foundation in both the hardware and software basis and help prepare you for more advanced projects.

Alright, thanks a ton for your help! It's really appreciated.

Maybe I can get my parents to get me an Arduino for my birthday (lol).

If you have a picoprojector, why would you need to use POV? maybe I just misunderstand your idea.

Not sure how old you are, but I have always encouraged my own boys (16, 18 and 23) to have part-time jobs to buy the toys we all like to play with.

In our case, I often offered to cost share on bigger (but reasonable) purchases (lacrosse equipment, tools, electronics, etc.) by helping them out when they had saved 50-75% of what they needed. It wasn't my job as a parent to hand them everything they wanted, but it was my job to teach them that they had to work to get the things they wanted.

For the most part, it seems to have worked out well for them.

If your birthday is a few months out, perhaps you could try to raise some money with an after school job, or by doing yard work around the neighbourhood . . . I am sure that your parents will be thrilled to see you take the initiative on your own.

I'm currently 16, turning 17 on the 11th. But, I do plan on getting a job mowing lawns soon. (Hopefully)

If you have a picoprojector, why would you need to use POV? maybe I just misunderstand your idea.

The idea is project the image of the spinning POV onto the wall. This needs fairly bright LEDs and thus needs a fair amount of current - how to provide that in a lightweight spinning form will be a challenge.

I would need POV because this will hopefully work when the fan is running. I want an image projected on to a wall, not spinning around the room. Thus the POV.

This needs fairly bright LEDs and thus needs a fair amount of current - how to provide that in a lightweight spinning form will be a challenge.

Small pico projectors from TigerDirect will do the trick. They're about $150, after taxes, shipping, etc., but I hope that they will work.

As far as balancing goes, just space it out on the fan blades, and add extra weights where necessary.

As far as power goes, I'm thinking slip rings, or maybe a projector with a built-in battery.

I'm with sciguy, couldnt you just mount the projector on the ceiling and aim it at the wall? What good does this whole complicated setup do? If i were you, start with something simple and practical...and move your way up to the useless stuff ;)

I'm with sciguy, couldnt you just mount the projector on the ceiling and aim it at the wall? What good does this whole complicated setup do? If i were you, start with something simple and practical...and move your way up to the useless stuff

Here's the reason: If I mount the projector on the ceiling, then it is pointing at one wall. If I mount it on the fan, then (when the fan is on), it is technically pointing at all the walls. So, I can use one projector to cover four walls. Understand now?

Ok i get it, sorry for the confusion. Thats a very cool, albeit difficult idea. If you have four seperate video feeds for each wall, you can use an arduino to switch between them when sending them to the projector. This can be done with a video switch like this: http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how-to-make-a-solid-state-a-v-switcher except instead of pushbuttons, control it directly from the arduino. Then, as for the spinning, if your fan spins at a fairly constant speed, you can just use trial and error to figure out the timing. If you want to get fancy, you can use an accelerometer. Good luck!

Yeah, I was thinking a simple IR trigger to tell the fan's speed, for the use of POV. I would have a much harder time with an accelerometer, whereas with an IR switch I can get a literal rpm count. Thanks for the link!

Ohh, I understand now. I understand that buying 4 projectors would not be the smartest choice!

Exactly.

P.S. If anyone wants to talk to me directly, here's my email. bobafettfan.jordan(at)gmail.com