Im not sure what to call it. Audio pass thru?

Ok guys, so I'm building a boba fett still and I realized I need to be able to hear what's going on around me.
So I want to have a thing..... yup im gonna call it a thing for now. that picks up audio from the left AND right of my helmet on the outside and pipes it into my helmet on the left and right respectively (Helps me not run people over) however I have absolutely no idea what to call it to search for that (arduino project or not.) weather this ends up using the arduino or just a mic and headphones. no problem searching for and developing the code myself just no idea what to search.

Halp!!

What is a still?
What's wrong with using a permeable material to let sound in the old fashioned way?
Run people over? Is this some kind of helmet you're making to use on a motorcycle?

not a still thing some of the people on here may remember that about a year a go I was building a boba fett costume and I "still" am in the process.

permeable material is a no. helmet has to look like the one from the movies so only real way to make that happen is with small holes and microphones.

running people over, no not for a motorcycle. the helmet has limited visions and conventions are crowded. run someone over = running into them and possibly knocking them down cause I don't know they are there.

you don't need a processor for this - just 2 mikes , 2 earphones and 2 amplifiers.
or even 2 short lengths of tubing - think stethoscope......

regards

Allan

this is what im building

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/g571-boba-fett-return-of-the-jedi-helmet.html

Im joining the 501st which requires movie accuracy which means I can hide tiny mics but I cant replace part with permeable material. when the bucket is on my head all the sound comes from below my ears and suddenly you cant tell where its coming from (left or right) so something like this becomes a necessity.

Helmet design already has slits on both sides, but you can try headphones that are just tubes. Won't be very comfortable for a long time, imo. No headphone is going to be comfortable and if you're going electronic then you've got attenuation issues to deal with in a crowded environment.

You don't need gaping holes to retain your stereo hearing abilities, I would just drill really tiny holes along depressions in the design that's already there. No need to overcomplicate it.

allanhurst:
you don't need a processor for this - just 2 mikes , 2 earphones and 2 amplifiers.
or even 2 short lengths of tubing - think stethoscope......

regards

Allan

Is that really all it takes? just mics earphones and ampliphiers? (I knew id need mics and earphones)

is there a name for that so I can look up a wiring diagram? im not very good with audio and the like

bpwmd17:
Is that really all it takes? just mics earphones and ampliphiers?

A power source an d a switch would be nice too ^^

You could use the parts from a cheap chinese hearing aid device.

lg, couka

if you leave the bottom of the helmet open, as shown in the under side pictures in your reference web site, you should have no problem hearing what is going on around you without any electronics.