Image sensor that will know what kind of a things

Hello. I Hope that you will help me to build my thesis project in my school.
I will do a project that will know what kind of a things it will scan. Example a plastic bottle that scan it after it will scan the system what kind of image is that and it will trigger the something motor to open. How can i do that thing? And what will i use to sensor the image that will track if it is what kind of an image. What kind of a shield or a parts of arduino i will use? I hope you will help me. Thank You. If you understand or not kindly email me in this aguipojeanrasen@gmail.com
Thank You again.

if you understand this link will help you to understand my project. Sorting trash can - YouTube
Visit that it is like that. I don't know what parts will i use. And how i will do? Thanks.

You want to take a picture of an object.
Use that image to identify what the object is.
Then decide what to do with the object based on that identification.

The AI that goes in to object identification is huge. You are not going to have success using an arduino to perform this image processing or identification.

The video that you linked to uses sound to identify. I suspect frequency is the identification bu that is just a guess.

vinceherman
Can i do the project by using that sound frequency? Can you help me to that. But in the linked of i send. I will use tree separation. 1 for Biodegradable , 1 for Non-Biodegradable and 1 for Recyclable ?

It looks to me like they used the high frequency sound of a bouncing empty aluminum can to identify it over the low frequency sound of a styrofoam cup.

What sound differentiation do you imaging exists for your three classes?
I do not think there will be any distinguishing characteristics.

Edit: I should say, I am not trying to shoot down your project. I am just trying to help you recognize the difficulties of your project. Keep looking for some way. There are others here on this forum that come up with some really creative solutions to really tough problems. Give them a chance to join in.

What will i do? To segregate a waste? :sob:

JiiinAguipo:
What will i do? To segregate a waste? :sob:

Use a more capable processing system than a simple microcontroller, like a Raspberry Pi or Beagle.
Or lots of people.

Do you really think it wise to post your email address?

It's okay. i just want to finish my project only.

JiiinAguipo:
I will use tree separation. 1 for Biodegradable , 1 for Non-Biodegradable and 1 for Recyclable ?

That is hard. Very hard. The most advanced image recognition and sorting systems we have on this planet (i.e. humans) can manage, mostly.

It is trash, so a bottle may not look much like a bottle (all folded up). It may be dirty, have different colours, made out of different materials, etc.

Biodegradable is so ambiguous a term - and if you include plastics like PLA it's getting really hard to distinguish those from non-degradable ones like PET. Humans can manage if there's a marking on the bottle, by searching for that marking.

Did you pick the thesis project yourself or was it given to you?
If you can pick the thesis yourself pick another one that you have some chance of completing.

You cannot do this with an Arduino and even with PI it is hard to see how it could be done.

The most advanced image processing software to date I think you can find with Google, Tesla, Uber and the likes - in self-driving cars.

I doubt the abilities of those systems come close to what you're asking for.

It does appear that you need to give up on the image recognition, on any platform.
What can you change this project to be? Sound like the video? Some other sorting algorithm?

If you want to recognize images, you can use Arduino with Python for example (The complexer you want it to recognize, the more coding you will need). A simple example is this Arduino with Python LESSON 1: Introduction to using Python with Arduino - YouTube (using many sensors for a 3 dimensional).

Or you can go the easier road and paste some kind of barcode or something similar on the object and let arduino read it with a sensor.

I think you should try doing something similar to what’s found in supermarket to return empty bottles or like a scanner at the counter.

If you cant articulate how YOU (as a person) would identify/distinguish your 3 categories.

There is ZERO hope for someone to code any processor or PI (or whatever) to do this.

If you can NOT outline the basic requirements.....in laymen terms, no program will be able to do it for you.

Hardware issues aside....

What are the 'rules' to determine the difference between:

• Biodegradable
  • Non-Biodegradable
  • Recyclable

Even if you had enough processing power and a GREAT image/AI program going.. you'd still have to let the 'hardware' know how to make a decision between the 3 choices..

what are they?

colors?
size?
material?

JiiinAguipo:
Hello. I Hope that you will help me to build my thesis project in my school.
I will do a project that will know what kind of a things it will scan. Example a plastic bottle that scan it after it will scan the system what kind of image is that and it will trigger the something motor to open. How can i do that thing? And what will i use to sensor the image that will track if it is what kind of an image. What kind of a shield or a parts of arduino i will use? I hope you will help me. Thank You. If you understand or not kindly email me in this aguipojeanrasen@gmail.com
Thank You again.

if you understand this link will help you to understand my project. Sorting trash can - YouTube
Visit that it is like that. I don't know what parts will i use. And how i will do? Thanks.

Link

SandroVerginelli:
Link
Salutis project - Arduino Project Hub

Can you explain how this offers any relation to the OP?
How is the image/visual recognition done? (I'm not sure what your link is about?)
Thanks

update: maybe this is the 'key' piece you are trying to relay:

Using a PI3 and "Google Vision API" (https://cloud.google.com/vision/)

Having a Google and looking around Youtube people do seem to have developed some systems using PIs and Arduinos that identify waste items and classify them.

These systems are fed items one at a time, they are not picking things from a jumble on a conveyor belt. I suspect they work with a very limited range of items such as tin can, plastic bottle or a plastic cup. Throw in a sock and it will have to default to landfill.

The two main technologies used are sound and vision. Some systems use neural nets and are trained.

So this is actually not totally impossible if the scope is severely limited to something like; "Can I tell the difference between uncrushed 330ml aluminium cans and uncrushed 750ml plastic bottles fed into the machine one at a time".