Implementing an Arduino program for controlling a Stepper with L298N & PySerial

I am putting together a circuit to control a stepper motor with an Arduino and it's not really as straightforward as it is shown in those tutorials. I am writing a Python-based module to send appropriate signals via PySerial to the Arduino which will inturn control the motor via an L298N IC (I'm making my own driver and before you ask, I have my reasons for this circus ;)).

I am confused as to how to go about this, do I have to build from scratch and write raw code (because I'm not using those standard drivers)? Or can I just call the available stepper libraries? Also, how can I send multiple bytes of information such as speed of motor, steps, direction and others? Can somebody post some example code as to how I should go about writing the code? Also, if you're up to it, how I should write my Python code accordingly?

can I just call the available stepper libraries?

Yes

how can I send multiple bytes of information such as speed of motor, steps, direction and others?

See Serial input basics

Also, if you're up to it, how I should write my Python code accordingly?

It sounds like you are certainly not up to it. Why are you doing this ?

Have a look at this Python comms demo and at serial input basics.

Life would be much easier using a specialized stepper driver that just needs step and direction connections to the Arduino and which can use a high voltage to get best performance from the motor - but that is your choice. Stepper Motor Basics

Don't expect to be able to control the motor step-by-step directly from your PC. The PC will need to send the number of steps and speed for a complete movement.

If you study the libraries you will see that they need to be given a list of the connections to the stepper driver. If you design your driver to match that requirement the libraries should work fine.

...R