IMU and motor accurancy

Hey

I am thinking about starting a project where I would need to build a mount for a camera/ telescope, and I will need this to be able to track objects in the night sky ( perhaps just stars in general to start off with). My question is, what kind of motors should I be looking for? I was thinking about using servos in a pan/tilt combination, also what specs should I be looking at for accuracy? I was thinking to control the speed the Arduino and get the measurements and direction using an IMU and a digital compass. Last thing, would the Arduino be capable of this on it's own? I'd rather not have my laptop involved with it's working because it might cause major issues with leaking light into the photographs.

Thanks!

The accuracy would depend on the FOV of the telescope, I would have thought.
Can't imagine R/C servos would cut it.

Sorry I don't think I was clear with the term 'accuracy'. For example with the camera, the mount will have to move the camera follow the object while the camera is taking numerous 30 second exposures. These would then get merged together at a later stage. What I was trying to get at with 'accuracy' is the motors ability to move at a steady constant speed, with no jerks, twitches or anything like that. I agree with RC servos would not be able to cut it, so when looking for suitable ones what factors should I been focusing on?

Forgot to say, thanks for the reply :wink:

What I was trying to get at with 'accuracy' is the motors ability to move at a steady constant speed, with no jerks, twitches or anything like that. I agree with RC servos would not be able to cut it, so when looking for suitable ones what factors should I been focusing on?

Stepper motors.

...and high quality gears with low backlash