In case you are having problems with MacOS Mojave and CH340 USB Drivers

after “almost endless” unsuccessful trials: deleting, installing, rebooting, … I found that, in my case, the problem was with the USB female connector in the (Chinese) Nano board. It was slightly, very slightly loose around the terminal connector, and just moving the plug (USB 4 pins) until some resistance was found, the ports /cu.wchusbserial1410 and /cu.usbserial-1410 appeard in the list, and I was able to upload a sketch. Can’t say I’m happy, this is casually reproducible situation. … (No, sorry, it’s USB 5 pins, seems working well ).

I am unable to get started with my starter kit. I have a Mac running Mojava 10.14.2
Total newbie here. Already spent two hours trying to do something but this is all a different language to me.
Sad and frustrated. Why isn't there an organized post or something clear to help beginners get started?

Please please help.

Thank you.

sash_k511:
Sad and frustrated. Why isn't there an organized post or something clear to help beginners get started?

Arduino does provide quite a bit of documentation to help beginners get started:

The information on the forum will tend to be much more chaotic and disorganized due to the nature of forums. Usually you can find the information you need after spending some quality time with Google but it's not terribly efficient.

sash_k511:
Please please help.

We won't be able to help unless you provide detailed information on what the problem is.

So I've been at this for over 10 hours straight now trying to upload a sketch to my ESP8266 and I still can't get the port to show in Arduino IDE. I've tried installing drivers, deleting drivers, all kinds of magic in terminal - still no go. I am on a powerbook mid 2012 running OSX mojave 10.14, so i also tried the "legacy driver" just in case, nothing seems to work.

I did however notice that the driver at /Library/Extensions/usbserial.kext is indeed installed, but the other at /System/Library/Extensions/usb.kext doesn't seem to be there. Any idea if the path has changed in mojave? Any sure fixes yet? The device is legit - no a chinese knockoff and the cable is indeed a data capable one, so that is not the issue.

I would love some help if anyone has any ideas.

none of this has worked for me :frowning:

I have the same the same problem as Betyar. I am also a newbie. I have tried everything and nothing seem to work. I have tried the terminal thing downloading all kinds of stuff. I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports and version 10.14.3 Mojave
plzzz help

I had this solution working well with my Mac mini late 2012, but now I’m trying with new Mac mini from 2018 and it doesn’t work. Any idea?

I have the same problem in High Sierra and nothing works!
Please Help :frowning:

Javipe:
I had this solution working well with my Mac mini late 2012, but now I'm trying with new Mac mini from 2018 and it doesn't work. Any idea?

I think the usb3.1 has some major issues. Been on this for more than 24hours!!!! have you fiund a solution yet?

Finally got my ESP8266 (Nodemcu... "New version" according to Amazon) I struggled with this for a couple of days trying to get my macbook (Mojave 10.14.3) to just see the thing.
Tried with the ch340 drivers. Nothing.
Tried deleting the drivers. Nothing.
Tried holding the flash button.
Tried holding the reset button.
Tried resetting while holding the flash button.
Tried many combinations of the above. Nothing.
Looked at the amazon page, and realized i don't have the ch340 UART. My version has the CP2102. Aha!
Install CP2102 driver from Silicon Laboratories. Nothing.
Go through everything again, twice.
Shelved it and was working on testing a repaired usb joystick. The driver didn't come with any sort of testing program, so I installed USB Blaster. It came up with a security prompt that opened up the security panel in preferences and showed that two programs were blocked, USB blaster and the driver from Silicon Labs.
Unblocked and it seems to be working. I can at least see the thing in /dev/tty now, and it shows up in the arduino IDE. I haven't flashed anything yet, but maybe this will help someone else.

OK, so I have a couple of Wemos D1 mini boards that I have been trying to make work with the IDE. I'm running MacOs Mojave (10.14.3) and like others have been having great difficulty in having my MBP show the serial port.

Yesterday I installed the CH340 drivers as advised by JorgeSans and somehow managed to get my machine to a state where it refused to boot (I installed the drivers, then deleted the USBSerial.kext and then reinstalled after which the machine failed to boot (I think!)). I ended up having to reinstall the OS from the recover partition.

I've read various different posts regarding whether MacOS Mojave actually has native support for the CH340 chip or not. Does anyone have any definitive information regarding how to allow Mojave to communicate successfully with the CH340 chip.

Thanks in advance.

Texangeek:
OK, so I have a couple of Wemos D1 mini boards that I have been trying to make work with the IDE. I'm running MacOs Mojave (10.14.3) and like others have been having great difficulty in having my MBP show the serial port.

Yesterday I installed the CH340 drivers as advised by JorgeSans and somehow managed to get my machine to a state where it refused to boot (I installed the drivers, then deleted the USBSerial.kext and then reinstalled after which the machine failed to boot (I think!)). I ended up having to reinstall the OS from the recover partition.

I've read various different posts regarding whether MacOS Mojave actually has native support for the CH340 chip or not. Does anyone have any definitive information regarding how to allow Mojave to communicate successfully with the CH340 chip.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problems with my arduino nano CH340, after 3 hours trying i get the solution:

uninstall the old CH340 driver (as everybody recommended below)
install the CH34x V1.5 driver
restart macbook

then

!!!change processor at tools to "ATmega328P (oldbootloader) " !!!

and now everything works properly.

i'm using 2014 15" macbook pro with MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

I hope could help you

Hello everyone,

I've tried pretty much everything mentioned on this thread but I've been unable to get something to work.

So, I purchased a NodeMCU from Amazon.

I'm on a 2012 13" Macbook Pro and Mojave (10.14.5 as of yesterday).

Before I did anything I installed the drivers for the NodeMCU on the Mac from the Github repo mentioned on this thread.

Firstly I used Homebrew but I quiclky realized that Homebrew is not updated and only installs v1.4. The NodeMCU already showed on the /dev/list but since it was an older version I uninstalled it.
So I unloaded the files, removed them manually & rebooted:

brew cask uninstall wch-ch34x-usb-serial-driver
sudo kextunload /Library/Extensions/usbserial.kext
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/usb.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/usb.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/usbserial.kext
reboot

After that I downloaded the v1.5 pkg from the repo and installed everything. Though the reboot wasn't required I did it anyway. The devices on /dev/, are:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   3 May 26 22:11 cu.usbserial-1420
crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   3 May 26 22:11 cu.wusbserial14210
crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   2 May 26 22:11 tty.usbserial-1420
crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   2 May 26 22:11 tty.wusbserial14210

(I'm not entirely sure that the last two on this list are 100% accurate as I don't have the NodeMCU here with me to double-check, but are similiar to that name).

So, everything seems fine and I go over to Arduino IDE. I installed all the esp stuff to detect the board, I go over to "Tools --> Boards --> Board Manager" and select "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module)", on upload speed I select "115200" and for the Port I get 3 options:

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.usbserial-1420
/dev/cu.wusbserial14210 (or something like it)

I selected the second option.

However, trying to run the "Blink" example I always get an error that "the port or resource is busy". Other time I get to the point where it apparently uploads everything and then simply stays at reseting and nothing else seems to happen:

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

So I removed the drivers altogether and use only the ones that come with the Mac. However the result is the same.

In terms of the IDE, I've tried using version 1.6.13 as well as 1.8.8 and 1.8.9. All of them yield the same result.

Can anyone help figure out what's going on?

Best Regards.

Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time getting this to work. I'm on MacBook Air late 2018 running Mojave (Thunderbolt 3.0 ports) with a USB 2.0 hub.
I've gone through both methods:

1. Adding a tap to my brew pointing to adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver repository and then installing the drivers with brew cask install.
    The casks in adrianmihalko repository install latest version 1.5 of the driver. I reboot and still no avail.

2. Uninstalling with brew cask uninstall and then trying the method of downloading the package and installing from it. Same result even though rebooting or not.

I can confirm the installation is visible at /Library/Extensions/usbserial.kext

Anyone there with same setup and having the same problem?

UPDATE: I made a very newbie mistake, I was checking my installation with a NodeMCU (CP210* USB-UART based chip) so of course it was not working. After actually connecting a USB-UART CH34* based chip, for example an Arduino UNO or MKR1000, it worked perfectly.
Just to let you know, if you need the NodeMCU CP210* based chip, refer to CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs as they are the OEM for those drivers

I'd very much appreciate any advise.

All the best,

--David

I was having issues connecting my wemos D1 mini pro to my mac. I had recently upgraded from high sierra to mojave and the usb serial port would not be recognized by my arduino IDE. I previously had the wemos d1 usb driver version 1.5 on my mac. I followed the instructions to uninstall the kext and reboot with no luck.
I ended up downloading the USB to UART bridge VCP from CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs
and I was able to see the USB serial port and loaded my sketch to the wemos D1 mini. Maybe this could help you in case you are still not seeing the device like I did.

UPDATE: I recently found out that my USB issues seem to be related to the type of board I have. I have both the wemos D1 mini and wemos D1 mini pro boards and I needed the USB to UART bridge for the wemos D1 mini pro but didn't need it for the wemos D1 mini boards I had. So the removal of the old USB drivers may work in some situations.

Hi, i'm new on this platform and i have an arduino micro.

I have read all the posts but there is not one that works for me.
Please you can can help me

I was having the same problem with MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 and an Adafruit Itsy Bitsy 32u4 - 3V. I had actually managed to upload a sketch to it once, but the port stopped showing up in the menu and there was no corresponding device in /dev. I tried installing the driver from GitHub - adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver: CH340G CH34G CH34X Mac OS X driver</tit to no avail.

By chance I stumbled across a link to this FAQ for this particular board: Feather HELP! | Adafruit Feather 32u4 Adalogger | Adafruit Learning System

The gist of it is that you select the board in the Arduino IDE, turn on verbose logging on upload in the preferences, then try to upload a sketch. While the IDE is trying to find the board, double-click the reset button. For the Itsy Bitsy, at least, this apparently throws the board into some mode which makes it visible. The sketch uploads and runs, and there is a device for the board in /dev.

As a sanity check, I unplugged the Itsy Bitsy, and the device was removed from /dev. I plugged it back in, the board started running the sketch with which I had just programmed it, and the device was in /dev again.

I don't know that this will work for any boards other than the Itsy Bitsy, but it's one more thing to try if nothing else has worked.

Hi,
thanks you very much CraigCottingham but it doesn’t go.
Anybody have another solutions?
Thanks

P.S. i have attached a photo of my problem

This problem has a simple solution:

1.) If you are running OS X Mojave, you are using a "charging only" cable to connect your computer to the due. That is why the lights turn on, but nothing happens. Replace the cable with another, and you will be done.

2.) there is no need for installing drivers or deleting files. Do not mess up your system messing around with the CH34x package.

Hi paul_siqueira,
Thanks you very much but I have resolve the problem in another methods.