in need of a multiplexer alternative

i need something similar to a multiplexer(expanding my arduino's inputs), and can have more than one of the new I/O usable at any given moment.

So you can start by explaining what sort of inputs you wish to connect (with precise specifications), what is their purpose, exactly how many and what sort of priority and response time you require. :roll_eyes:

can have more than one of the new I/O usable at any given moment.

No.
In one multiplexer only one line from the Arduino is connected to one line of the multiplexer at any one time.

But you should say what you want to do because there may be better soloution than a multiplexer.

Pardon the late reply, i work nights.
My purpose: take a console controller, and make it a usb-HID based computer keyboard.
My needs: i said i need something lime a multiplexer, but can have multiple of the new inputs used at once.
Why: i cant really game with a keyboard for more than a few minutes without hand pain, and have never been good with a mouse. Thus, create a macro-keyboard that behaves like a controller.
Input types: 4 analog sticks 1-2 mouse scroll wheels a cr*p-load of buttons(not a full keyboard's worth of buttons) 2-4 rumble motors, and a few sliding switches

Pardon the late reply, i work nights.

With people from all over the world here, nights have little meaning.

My purpose: take a console controller, and make it a usb-HID based computer keyboard.

So for that you need an Arduino Leonardo or micro.

For port expansion I would use a PCA9865 port expander chip every time. You get 16 I/O pins, a notification pin that tells you an input has changed to save you looking at the whole thing and you can use 8 of these chips without any tricks.

The PCA9865 is exactly what i needed, i cant thank you enough for helping me with this issue.

PCA9865

Huh? There is a PCA9685 but that is a pwm driver for led & servos, isn't it? Did you mean PCF8575?

Sorry I actually meant a MCP23S17.

Or PCF8574. Cheaper than MCP23S17. And I love the pseudobidirectional pin idea.

Smajdalf:
Or PCF8574. Cheaper than MCP23S17. And I love the pseudobidirectional pin idea.

But it is only 8 bits as opposed to the MCP23S17’s 16 bits and it is I2C as opposed to the SPI of the MCP chip so it is a lot slower.

But each to their own.