#include doesn't seem to register

I am trying my first compile for the MakeItRobotics line following robot.
I have added the MakeItRobotics library and imported it.

When I compile:

#include <MakeItRobotics.h>//include library

MakeItRobotics line_following;//declare object

The MakeItRobitics.h file has a proper declaration for the class and the code is in MakeItRobitics.cpp

I get the error:
‘MakeItRobotics’ does not name a type

The weird thing is that if I change it to #inasdfasdfdclude <MakeItRobotics.h> or #include <junkfile.h>

I still get the same error rather than an error on the include line for the junk or for not being able to find the file. It seems to be ignoring the #include line altogether. (I have checked that there are no stray comments around the #include line)

When I compiled this:

#include <MakeItRobotics.h>//include library

MakeItRobotics line_following;//declare object

void setup() {}

void loop() {}

I got:

Sketch uses 1,546 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 196 bytes (9%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,852 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

Did you restart the IDE? I have never imported, but manually dumped the folder in the libraries folder ( which requires a restart ).
Open your libraries folder and see if it imported correctly?

I vaguely recall a similar sounding bug.

Do you have anything else before the include? Like a #define?

Try adding one (or more) blank lines before the #include.

Thanks all, when I restarted, it inserted the include at the top of the file where it then errored for having two and so I deleted the original include and all is well. It does look like a bit of a bug but as long as the #includes are right at the top of the file, it looks good.

Guys I'm a super newb Dad trying to help his Daughter with the line reader robot. I keep getting this same MakeItRobotics does not name a type error. Can somebody please walk me through how to fix it?

Can somebody please walk me through how to fix it?

It’s really dirt simple. Download the library. Install it in the proper place. Restart the IDE. Three simple steps. What could possibly go wrong?

What have you done? Where, exactly, did you put the files?

I haven't put them anywhere they are still in the folder from the download.

I haven't put them anywhere they are still in the folder from the download.

What are you waiting for? Permission? It is granted.

I honestly don't know how. When I said I was a super newb I wasn't lying.

PaulS:

Can somebody please walk me through how to fix it?

It's really dirt simple. Download the library. Install it in the proper place. Restart the IDE. Three simple steps. What could possibly go wrong?

What have you done? Where, exactly, did you put the files?

How do I get them to the proper place?

Hi LostDad

In the zip file you downloaded, is there a folder called "MakeItRobotics"? In that folder, are there files including MakeItRobotics.cpp and MakeItRobotics.h?

If so, extract the MakeItRobotics folder to the desktop (or somewhere else convenient).

In the Arduino IDE, click on Sketch - Import Library - Add Library. Navigate to where you saved the extracted folder and select the MakeItRobotics folder. Click OK.

You should see a success message at the bottom of the IDE window.

Regards

Ray

On the main page, there is a reference tab. On the reference tab, there is a link to Libraries. On the libraries page, there is a link to how to install libraries: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries

PaulS:
On the main page, there is a reference tab. On the reference tab, there is a link to Libraries. On the libraries page, there is a link to how to install libraries: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries

I keep getting an error now that says error compiling

Where did you put the MakeItRobotics folder and which files does it contain ?
Is that the whole message ?

Please post the full program that you are trying to compile.

When I try to add the library the .h .cpp, keywords, and read_me files aren't there. It only says examples.

UKHeliBob:
Where did you put the MakeItRobotics folder and which files does it contain ?
Is that the whole message ?

Please post the full program that you are trying to compile.

It is on my desk top. When I open it all of the files are there but when I try to add library only the example folder is there.

Copy or move the MakeItRobotics folder to the libraries folder in the folder where your sketches are stored. Make sure that there is a MakeItRobotics.h and MakeItRobotics.cpp file in the folder. Stop/Start the IDE and you should be in business.

Ok the makeitrobotics.h file is there but the .cpp one isn't

Ok I got it to say done compiling! What do I do now????

It says done compiling

Binary sketch size:3,572 bytes(of a 32,256 maximum)

Now how do I get my robot to work?