Increase FOV of an OV7675 camera module

Hello Arduino fam,

I am quite new here, so please bear with me if I am doing something foolish :smiley:

For a small project I am working on currently, which requires machine vision, I am using an OV7675. All good so far, the issue I am facing though is that I want to reduce the distance from the camera to the object, the only way to do so is by increasing the FOV (Field of View) of the camera, or perhaps using a different camera with a higher FOV.

My object is around 6cmx6cm
The distance I am targeting is 6cm (or less)
Doing the math I found that I need a camera with at least 50° of FOV.

1. Any recommendation for a lens I can mount to the OV7675 to meet the abovementioned requirements?
    or
  2. Any advise for another camera I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Arducam has a bunch of lenses

1 Like

Thank you @J-M-L for the link!

Any idea how can I verify the compatibility with my OV7675 camera?

The OV7675 is a just a VGA sensor, so it depends how it has been integrated and what mount type (if any) is available. do you have a link to your module?

That's the one I am using:

I don't think you can remove the micro lens on this one...

Any recommendation for a module compatible with arduino and fulfilling my needs I could use instead?

The Arducam Mini 2MP Plus (OV2640) or the Arducam 5MP Plus (OV5642) come with a lens that has a 60° horizontal field of view and changeable lens options with M12 mount or CS mount lens holder

if you want to change the lens, you can choose the lens from their M12 lens kit:

SKU: LK001 Arducam M12 mount camera lens kit for Arduino and Raspberry Pi camera

SKU: LK002 Arducam Low Distortion M12 mount camera lens kit for Arduino and Raspberry Pi camera

Thanks a lot for the answer!

I spent a lot of time trying to find out where to order the 2MP Plus, no chance to find one here in Germany. In addition it's a bit pricey.

@J-M-L do you think I can get the OV7670 supports also changing the lens (with another M12 mount) to increase the field of view?

Also in the meanwhile, I ordered this OV2640, but I have no clue how to make it work with my arduino nano 33 BLE Sense.

I would be grateful for anyone's help here!

they state it's an M12 Mount, so may be you can swap it for another M12 Mount lens.

you need to write code for an SCCB bus if the library does not support your target architecture.
A quick googling led me to this GitHub post, may be a source of inspiration