Increasing my current output

Hi all

I've set up my Redboard with a micro SD card breakout and a level converter for it.

I can read a text file on the SD card but can't write on it. I read somewhere that it coud be because the 3.3V drawn by the card do not bring enough current to be able to write on the card. I'd need something like 200mA to be able to do that.

Is there any truth to that? And if so, is there any way I can draw 200mA even with a level converter in between the card and the board?

Thanks for your help.

The 3.3V power for the SD card MUST be supplied by a voltage regulator, not by a level converter.

Use a SMPS to get the required 3.3V and current. eBay

jremington: The 3.3V power for the SD card MUST be supplied by a voltage regulator, not by a level converter.

Yep, I just blindly followed Sparkfun's advices when trying to put all this together! That'll teach me...

ok so I have a LD1117V33 voltage regulator, any way I can insert that on my circuit, and how?

Sparkfun has no clue how to use their own products, as far as I can tell. Vin is your 5v, Vout is the 3.3v supply for the SD card. Do not connect that 3.3v to the 3.3v pin of the Arduino.

Use the schematic at the bottom of page 3 of the datasheet https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/LD1117V33.pdf

Yep, agreed... And THANK YOU for pointing the schematics to me!

IT WORKED

as expected, the voltage regulator outputted 3.3V with a max current of 800mA, plenty to make the SD card reader work…

Thanks everyone