Increasing the angle of an ultrasonic transducer

Hello, for my final school project I am making a system that can detect the location of a device via ultrasonic soundwaves. To do this the device has to have some ultrasonic transducers that can emit a pulse in every direction. I had trouble finding such transducers where I live that arent super expensive so my plan is to use the transducers from a HC-SR04 sensor.

The only problem is that these only have a transmitting angle of around 30 degrees. This means I would have to use a lot of these to cover every direction. So my question is this: is there a way to increase the angle of transmission and reception of these transducers? I thought about removing the aluminium hull but I am not sure if this will work. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated!

p.s. alternatives are also welcome

transducers.png

I’ve never tried it, but how about firing vertically onto the apex of a 45° metallic pyramid or cone?
It’ll reduce the range considerably, but maybe worth a try.

Scan with one sensor using a $2 28byj-48 stepper motor.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
I've never tried it, but how about firing vertically onto the apex of a 45° metallic pyramid or cone?
It'll reduce the range considerably, but maybe worth a try.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that yet. Thanks!

You'll probably just find how far away the cone is. Even if the apex is too small to create a large reflection, the base edge is likely to trigger a detection.

Mount it on a servo. Easier than a stepper as you know which direction you're actually pointing it.

If you really need 360°, mount two back to back on that servo.