Indicator for Simulation Game

Hello dear Community,

i am really new to all this stuff. Thats why i would need some help for my project.
I got a real Truck Indicator switch and i want to make it work as a Controller for my PC.

I got an Arduino Leonardo but now i am quite stuck cause i imagined it to be easier.

Could somebody give me some advice if it is possible to make the real switch working like a controller?

I want it to be recognized by the PC like a keyboard/Controller. From the real switch are 7 Cables comming out of it. Can somebody maybe help me out?

I´ve added some pictures for explanation.

Thank you !

You need to find a schematic showing how those 7 wires are connected inside the indicator switch.

What do you want to control on the pc? A game? If so, you will need to find out what is needed to make the game respond to the Leonardo in the way you want.

Hello PaulRB,

thank you for your quick reply!
I´ve just done some research last night and it is verry hard to find something on the internet.

Is there also a possibility to just connect the Cables to the arduino and then use the switch to see some response on the PC?

I mean if i would connect the Cables and then press the light oder the Blinker button?

Thank you for your help!

Friendly Regards

No, nothing would happen. Electronics is not magic. To make anything work you have to understand what you are doing and exactly how each component works.

I suggest you use a multimeter or a continuity tester. Try each pair of conductors in the connector in turn. For each pair, try all the different functions of the indicator switch. Make careful notes of your findings. Draw a diagram of how you believe things must be connected inside the indicator switch.

Hello PaulRB,

thank you again for your reply.
I have an multimeter but i dont really know how to use it.

I attached the black cable to the black stick and tried every possible switch position on the Multimeter, but i dont know where i should put the switch on the multimeter. (I attached a photo, could you maybe describe me where the switch on the multimeter should be?

And after i have the multimeter on the right position i attach the black cable to the black stick and then i try to get the red stick on the other cables coming out of the blinker and see if there is something happening on the multimeter?

I am sorry for my really dumb questions but as is said im quite new to all this :slight_smile:

Thank you !

Multimeter.png

Multimeter.png
Your picture is much too fuzzy. I can't tell what setting your multimeter is on. Before you post any more pictures, check them first to make sure the details can be read.

You should set your multimeter to 20KOhm range. Then connect the two probes to two conductors in the plug. If there is no connection between the probes, the multimeter will read "E" or "---" or something. If there is a connection, it should read zero or a very small value.

Some multi-meters offer an “are the probes connected” setting. Try different settings. Try touching the leads together. It the multimeter beeps, you’ve found the setting! (Hold them touching for “a moment”… it can take “a moment” for the beep to start. MUCH less than a second, but it may “feel” like you had them touching “a long time”.

With the beep, or with the resistance measuring (all multi-meters have that. And again you can check you have the right setting but pressing the leads against each other)…

With the meter, test your turn indicator SYSTEMATICALLY. Let’s call the 7 places a wire can connect a, b, c, d… g.

Put one lead on a. Put the other on b. Wiggle the stick. Note any responses.

Leave 1st lead on a. Put other on c. Wiggle

a-d: wiggle
a-e: wiggle
a-f
a-g

Then move 1st to b… DON’T BOTHER with “b to a”… you’ve already done that one! (Unless there are diodes involved… and it is unliekly.)

b-c
b-d
b-g

Then

c-d
c-e
c-f
c-g

Then

d-e
d-f
d-g