Inexpensive mid-infrared source + detector

Hello,

I’m looking for a low power source (LED, laser or other, it’s not important) in the mid infrared (around 2100nm - 2.1um) and an appropriate detector for it, I need it to build an infrared “colorimeter” which I hope it will work for a project I want to start working on. An IR spectrophotometer would be perfect but you know how much they cost…
Every component I found is above 100 euro/dollars which is too much considering that I don’t know if it will even work for my application, but maybe someone can suggest me an inexpensive alternative.

Many thanks

I’m looking for a low power source (LED, laser or other, it’s not important) in the mid infrared (around 2100nm - 2.1um) and an appropriate detector for it,

That is not easy. You can not use silicon to make emitters and detectors that operate at that frequency.

Every component I found is above 100 euro/dollars which is too much

Sounds like a bargain to me given the specification.

I built a spectrometer from instructions and software online for detecting UV and apparently suitable for IR.

No idea if you are chasing the same thing or not.

One of a few available here.......

No idea if you are chasing the same thing or not.

Well no he is not. The wavelength of what a silicon based web cam chip can detect is a lot smaller than he OP wants to measure. He wants 2100nm where as a webcam works at around 840nm.

Thermal camera sensor ($40) might be useable for that frequency.

Yes good catch. :slight_smile:
Still leaves the problem of the emitter though.

There is no need for a camera, a single IR temperature sensor (pyrometer/termophile) would be ok, the problem is that they works from around 4 um above.
So no, they can't be used.

I need it to build an infrared “colorimeter”

Are you trying to measure measure absorbance at 2 uM wavelength? Tell us more about this project.