Infrared DCC controller

Hi Forum, Was not sure where to place this topic...,

Looking at a project to send DCC commands via infrared to scale DCC cars.

Whilst the cars can be programmed via a DCC control unit it is manual.

I seek to use the DCC for other application whereas I need to provide a sequence of commands ( slow motor start, lights and perhaps sound etc)

Faller DCC car system is an example as is Teknikart.eu DCC units

Link——- https://teknikart.eu/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Decoder+DC07-I&submit_search=

itolond: Looking at a project to send DCC commands via infrared to scale DCC cars.

It sounds like an interesting project but you need to provide more information.

I was not aware that DCC was used for model road vehicles so it would help if you explain how it works. In model train DCC the power supply is used to convey the control signals - but clearly that can't happen with a battery powered road vehicle.

Do the cars already have infra-red receivers? If so you need to provide a link to the datasheet that describes the communications protocol which the Arduino program will need to mimic.

If the cars don't already have IR receivers you will need to provide information about how an IR receiver will interface with the motor controller.

...R

Indeed, Cars have a DCC decoder and can receive commands via IR - and yes they already have IR sensors fitted.

I have contacted the DCC decoder supplier in an effort o get a handle on the DCC commands (indicators, rotating lights, lights sound etc....)

I assume (and new to Arduino at this level) It would be a case of creating a library of the DCC commands then writing a script to deliver these in a timed sequence

I want to keep the whole thing quite simple as it would be a pre-determined set of instructions which would be executed based on an external trigger

itolond: I assume (and new to Arduino at this level) It would be a case of creating a library of the DCC commands

Probably, but without seeing the specification for the various IR signals I won't be more specific.

If you already have an IR transmitter it should be possible to write an Arduino program to capture those signals.

You should be aware that "library" has a specific meaning in the Arduino world and I think you just mean a list of commands

then writing a script to deliver these in a timed sequence

If the plan is for the Arduino to automatically issue a sequence of commands - such as Forward, Right, Forward, Left etc - then I suspect you may find that the whole thing gets out of sync unless there is some means for the Arduino to know where the car has got to - and I suspect there is no easy way to do that. Experiments will be needed to see if the system can be sufficiently reliable

...R