Infrared Sensor Sensitivity

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of building a line following robot. For this project, I am using an Arduino Nano with 5 Obstacle Avoidance Infrared Sensors. I noticed that due to working in different light and room conditions, I need to adjust the sensor’s sensitivity with every use.

My question is, are there any techniques I can use to stop the need for constant re-adjustment. I have the sensors and Arduino running off a separate power source which has helped greatly. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
Alex

Are you using the obstacle avoidance sensors to follow the line? Obstacle avoidance sensors usually are simple distance sensors. The hardware is crucial for the tolerance to changing light conditions but you failed to tell us what hardware you're using.

If you really want to build a line follower robot why don't you use simple black/white detection sensors? These are usually modulated onto a base frequency to filter the receiving sensor data which should make the system mostly ambient light tolerant.