Initial Upload

Hey I just bought the Arduino UNO and am trying to load the Example Blink "sketch" onto the board. I am using windows 7 64 bit. I have installed the drivers, provided in "arduino-0021" software packet, multiple times following the instructions given on the arduino.cc website. I also tried using different COM ports (3, 7 and 1) but still am getting the same error... I have also checked over and over to make sure that I have selected the correct board (Arduino UNO). Today I installed the drivers on a computer using windows vista and the upload process worked correctly without any errors...

the upload error is....

Binary sketch size: 1010 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any ideas?

If you search for the error, you'll generally find auto-reset isn't working.

Try pressing and holding the reset button until about 1 second after the "Sketch is xxxx size" message.

Hey I will do a better job looking next time. But no luck with the reset button. Same problem.

I just used the Arduino.cc search for "Windows 64bit" and found this:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286667057/9

Look near the bottom.

I played with the ports and reinstalled the drives again but it didn't help. I then unplugged all the other USB devices from my computer, restarted, and then reinstalled the drives which fixed eliminated the error. Then I plugged the other devices back in and I got the same error. Not sure why this is happening.

Then I plugged the other devices back in and I got the same error.

Unplug them all again. Plug in one at a time to see which one triggers the issue. Then, throw that one away.

Just to make things more fun! I tried removing all the USB devices and then putting them back one by one and none of them were causing the issue... It appears that it was an old driver for a different microcontroller.

After removing these old drivers the Arduino worked perfectly. thanks for all your help! :)