Inovonics Serial Receiver Integration

I'd like to integrate Inovonics wireless buttons in to a panic alarm system that controls relays driven by the Arduino. Inovonics offers a serial receiver which outputs data from the transmitters to an RS232 application. I would need to be able to enroll and delete the buttons, assign then to relays, and monitor fault and battery levels in the buttons.

Is this possible?

A good starting point would be to post a link to the datasheet for the "Inovonics wireless buttons" so we know what you are talking about.

...R

Here is datasheet for the serial receiver and the developer guide that talks about some of the commands.

http://www.inovonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/EN4200-Datasheet.pdf

http://www.inovonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Security-End-Device-Developer-Guide.pdf

The idea is to basically not this this http://www.inovonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/EN4216MR-Datasheet.pdf to drive relays and LEDs that will already be in my device.

You need to describe how those things are intended to work.

From looking at the VERY brief EN4200 datasheet it seems as if it is meant to receive serial data and send it on to some other Inovonics device. There must be another document that explains how to use the serial interface.

If you can make a simple diagram showing how you propose to connect everything it would be a big help. Just a simple A to B to C sort of diagram.

...R

My project is essentially a box that will have LEDs/buzzers powered by relays and the GPIOs, doing it as a wired setup will be one option, but I'd also like to include the Invonics wireless system as well. This would be easy for me to purchase the Inovonics receives with built in relays and programming, but I want to avoid that cost. The serial only receiver EN4200 is just like the all in one receivers they offer, but it only outputs via serial what it sees from the Inovonics transmitters, whether that be alarm, battery low, supervision fail, tamper, etc. The EN4200 from what I can tell is designed to be integrated with other controllers that can read the serial format, thus eliminating the need for the full controller. I would imagine it wouldn't be much of an issue for the Arduino to read the serial data and trigger GPIOs from it, but it also needs to be able to enroll and delete the transmitters and communicate with them for supervision.

So again, the EN4200 will be receiving the "Echostream" data from the transmitter buttons and translating it to serial data, where the Arduino would then trigger GPIOs depending on that status.

All I can say is that an Arduino can communicate with a Serial device. If the serial device uses RS232 signal levels then a converter such as a MAX232 will be needed to bridge between the RS232 voltages and the Arduino's TTL voltage.

You will need a lot more information about your EN4200 if you want to get anything working.

...R

Your project is certainly doable. Do you have a system to test with? If not, your project is not possible.

Of course the serial communication must be able to send as well as receive. I read no documentation relating to sending data back to the system.

Paul

I do not have equipment yet. I will soon order an Uno and a EN4200 to test. I assume I can monitor serial data output coming from the EN4200 via the Arduino, after I convert it from RS232 voltages?

In this case, I do not believe it necessary to send data back. I only need to receive data from the one way transmitters and then tell the Arduino what to do with that data, such as activate a GPIO.

acs680:
I do not have equipment yet. I will soon order an Uno and a EN4200 to test. I assume I can monitor serial data output coming from the EN4200 via the Arduino, after I convert it from RS232 voltages?

What makes you think that data comes from the EN4200. My read of the datasheet is that you send data to it.

...R

It's part of the receiver line, not the transmitter line.

'The security only serial receiver is a wireless gateway between
EchoStream one-way security transmitters and a head end
application using an RS-232 serial interface."

I had inferred that "head end" referred to another of the Inovonics devices.

...R

Gotcha. Here is an article that made a little more sense to me. System Design with Inovonics Technology - Inovonics

I have a serial receiver and a transmitter on the way so that I can try to make sense of the messages that are coming from it.

With that said, could the Arduino handle the capabilities of watching for this serial data and triggering notifications via email or GPIO based on it? And even further watching for the "check in" messages every so often, notifying again by email or GPIO when it doesn't see the check in?

acs680:
Gotcha. Here is an article that made a little more sense to me. System Design with Inovonics Technology - Inovonics

I have a serial receiver and a transmitter on the way so that I can try to make sense of the messages that are coming from it.

With that said, could the Arduino handle the capabilities of watching for this serial data and triggering notifications via email or GPIO based on it? And even further watching for the "check in" messages every so often, notifying again by email or GPIO when it doesn't see the check in?

All of those and more are possible. Start your software with minimal capability and expand step by step.

Paul

acs680:

Not for me, I'm afraid. I could not see anything about serial communication with the device.

...R

It's on the last dropdown for that page "What Resources Are Needed For Your Application Controller?" Doesn't necessarily go in specifics of the serial data, but talks about what you application needs to interact.

acs680:
It's on the last dropdown for that page

Why are they making things so difficult?

You will need to find the documentation that explains the message format. But at least that note says that it works at 9600 baud.

When you get the device try the second example in Serial Input Basics and see if any data appears.

...R

Agreed. I'll hook it up and try to speak it's language. I'm also considering trying Xbees.

acs680:
I'm also considering trying Xbees.

That's as fine a "non sequitur" as I have come across for a long time.

What might be the role of the Xbees?

...R

To serve the roll of the panic buttons. I'd prefer Inovonics, as they are proven, but I don't know about them as far as programming. There is much more information available for the bees. My biggest concern is interference however. With Inovonics, transmitters/buttons are enrolled wheras Xbees just talk to anything on the same channel the way I understand it.

Have you considered nRF24L01+ transceivers. They are cheap and very effective and have a lot of in-built error checking. Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

...R