Input High Amp for arduino

Is it okay I'll use 5v 60A for my arduino ? Because I bought power supply for controlling led strip using arduino and gsm module ?

And there are three 5v terminal in power supply , and I'm planning to standalone my system . Is it okay to power up the arduino ? Thanks guys for the answer

Yes, but be careful because a short-circuit could burn-up wires and start something on fire!

Because of [u]Ohm's Law[/u] the Arduino will only "draw" the current that it needs.

For example, if you plug a 100W bulb into a 120VAC wall outlet you get a little less than one amp of current flow. If you plug in a 1200W hair drier you get 10 Amps. If you unplug everything (or turn everything off) no current flows. If you plug-in two hair driers, you'll blow the circuit breaker.

OK, so this (extremely common) situation brings up a few considerations.

You are presumably referring to WS2812B LED strips as these are the ones that require a 5 V supply. It is important in terms of avoiding interference (both incoming and outgoing) to keep wiring "dress", that is to keep both supply wires together and signal wires together with their corresponding ground return.

I might have suggested that you use the three 5 V (and matching three ground) terminals in your power supply, to divide the connections up between say, two more-or-less equal sections of LED strip, and the Arduino and associated components. But this means that you would have a "flying" control wire from Arduino to LED strip bypassing the wires from the power supply. One approach would be to take that wire together with the power wires that feed the Arduino, back to the power supply termination and from there together with the power wires that feed the LED strip.

It would however, be more practical to have the (heavy) power wires run from the power supply to the LED strip where there is supposed to be a bypass capacitor, say 1 mF across the power and from that point on to the Arduino along with the control wire coming from the Arduino to the LED strip.

In any case, do remember that if you are going to use any serious length of LED strip - as your use of a 60 A supply suggests - you must arrange some heavy power (5 V and ground) wires to feed in parallel, both ends of the LED strip and to "tee" in each metre or so as well (because the foil on the strip will not be able to carry much current).

And each run of wiring needs its own appropriately rated fuse, a 60A supply could easily set wiring on
fire if you don't take precautions.

To power the arduino for the moment is fine but I would not power the strips through the arduino if they pull anywhere close to 60A. A stand alone Arduino can run on almost any amps as it only uses what it needs but like said above, if you short something your in trouble. BBQ

Hi guys thanks for replying , this is my current schematic

the one photo is arduino is powered up by USB Cable in my laptop , controlling the RGB LED with External power supply

In another photo i want to use the another 5v and gnd of Power supply to power up my arduino and GSM module , is this right and safe ? hope you understand me thank you guys :slight_smile:

2fd5f0dd5a7fc69376cd83cfd1420dd894ac2f61.png
OK, close, but not quite right! Completely wrong in fact for “Line 18”.

The cable from the power supply to the LEDs needs to go to both ends of the strips. It is important that the ground at the end of the strip accompanies the data wire in order to prevent a significant voltage or impulse appearing between the ground of the two strips, connecting the 5 V lines together is not so important except that still does not (adequately) account for the voltage loss along the strip. So the ground must connect either ends of two strips where the data wire passes from one to the other, but 5 V and ground should be supplied to both at that end by cabling by some path from the power supply.

Having the (green) data wire accompanied by a ground from the power supply is also good - for the same reason - so you might as well take the +5 V along the same path.

5volt on the DC socket won’t work, it needs ~7volt minimum.
5volt on V-in won’t work either, it needs 6volt minimum.
5volt on the USB socket won’t work, because the GSM module pulls ~2A during transmit,
and the 500mA USB fuse won’t like that.

So connect 5volt to the 5volt pin (and to the GSM module).

There should be a resistor (~330ohm) between the Arduino pin and data-in of the strip.
And a beefy cap on the power terminals of the strip if the strip is some distance from the supply.
Leo…