Inputting information from Digital display/keypad to a Sketch

Hello. I have built a TIG welding robot that welds seems. It only has a driven "y" access but to make this robot usable i need to have the ability for the user to easily input the length of the weld required. Can somebody point me in the right direction of how to input a readout from a numerical display to a line in a sketch?

Currently i have the robot using a G-code string but i need to make this simpler for anyone in my factory to use.

Thank you

Actually we would need a LOT more information to do that.

Thank you Chris.

I would be in-visioning 2 numerical displays, one for Start point and another for the end point. Once these displays are set to the right values i would have a button to send the numbers to the correct lines in the sketch and run the sketch.

I know how to write the sketch to control the unit but what i don't know how to do is transfer the values displayed on a display to a point in a sketch.

Does this help?

"input a readout from a numerical display to a line in a sketch?"

It seems you are welding seams from a device that moves the welding rod or wire at a given pace a given distance along a straight line defined by the Y-axis movement of something like an automated milling machine that accepts G-code.

First you ask "Welding Rate? " Users keys in 500 for 500mm/min and you remember this number as rate.
Next you ask "Where to Start?" User keys in 0 and presses enter. You remember this number as start.
Then you ask "Where to Stop?" User keys in 575 for 575mm and You remember this number as stop.

Then you do something like "Enter B to Begin or X to start over". User enters B.

You turn on the welder and generate G-Code

G00 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0
G01 Y500 F500

It obviously is more complex than this but this is where to start. So you need the microcontroller, a display to ask the questions and see responses with, a keypad of some form for the user to input answers to your questions, and then the code to translate their responses into the proper G-code. Could be a single TFT display shield with touch screen. You can't really easily take the values from the display directly But I assumed you didn't really want to do that but rather take values from your users instead.

Start with finding examples like this Sample Kepad Code for Arduino Learn to enter numbers and print them back out in different formats and then go back to your welder project and take your new knowledge with you.

LEX1987:
Thank you Chris.

I would be in-visioning 2 numerical displays, one for Start point and another for the end point. Once these displays are set to the right values i would have a button to send the numbers to the correct lines in the sketch and run the sketch.

I know how to write the sketch to control the unit but what i don’t know how to do is transfer the values displayed on a display to a point in a sketch.

Does this help?

Are the values displayed by the same device that you will want to use to interpret them? If so then tell us what you know about that device. If not, then give us more information about the device that has the display. Does it have any kind of data-out port? Can you post a link that describes it?