Insane while loop behavior

I’m controlling a floating gas ball valve, and in the setup() function I run a position calibration function to ensure that it reaches a known, slightly open position that will be set to the minimum, avoiding a flame-out condition.

The control uses a Timer1 Overflow ISR for accurate timing, which increments an OVF_count variable. This works correctly during the setup() function.

The problem arises when I open the valve for a set period of time, measured in overflows, to reach the minimum position. The while loop used to wait for a certain period of time:

while (OVF_count < min_pos);

only works when I have a print function inside it, for example:

while (OVF_count < min_pos)
{
   Serial.println(OVF_count);
}

When I do this, I can see the OVF_count variable incrementing to the value I set min_pos to correctly, and executes the rest of the code correctly. However, if I leave this line out, the code stops at the line before this, seemingly looping forever like it forgot what min_pos was set to.

The craziest part of this is I have several, nearly identical while loops before this that pause the program waiting for user input, and these all work perfectly.

Here is a sample of the code that I’m running:

// Start calibration, prevent interrupt control
  calibration_flag = 1;

Serial.print("Valve resetting\nPress when fully closed to calibrate..\n\n");

// Close valve until user input
  digitalWrite(open_pin, 0);
  digitalWrite(close_pin, 1);
  while (digitalRead(button_pin));         <<<< Correctly working loops

Serial.println("Calibration starting\n");

OVF_count = 0;

// Open until set minimum flow point
  digitalWrite(open_pin, 1);
  digitalWrite(close_pin, 0);
  while (OVF_count < min_pos);             <<<< The problem line

// Stop valve
  digitalWrite(open_pin, 0);
  digitalWrite(close_pin, 0);

// set position tracker to calibrated minimum
  cur_pos = min_pos;

Serial.println("Ignite burner");
  Serial.println("Press to start..");

// Wait until user ignition
  while (digitalRead(button_pin));

// End calibration, allow interrupt control
  calibration_flag = 0;

Well, you didn't show your complete code, so I'm just gonna have to guess. Are all variables that are accessed in both ISR and non-ISR code declared 'volatile'?

Continuing along the same lines, you didn't tell us what type of processor you're using. Is it an 8-bit machine? If so, are you protecting accesses in non-ISR code to variable types larger than 8 bits with noInterrupt() / interrupt() pairs? Can't see how your variables are defined because (again) you didn't show your full code.

Nope, and setting OVF_count to volatile works. Thanks for your help.