Install IDE for multiple OS X users

Hello,
I’m trying to install the Arduino IDE as an administrator of a lab full of apple computers, and I want my users (non-admins) to be able to use and program Arduino.

OS X 10.12.4
Arduino IDE 1.8.2
Java Version 8 update 21

I’ve installed the IDE under the Admin account, along with desired libraries and board files. I can program Unos, Gammas, and Circuit Playgrounds under the admin account. But if I switch to a non-admin account I get many errors when trying to verify my code. First, there is a pop-up that says: You don’t have permission to use the application “arduino-builder”. Second, I get a lot of red text in the status window, the most helpful bit is:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder”: error=13, Permission denied

I do not get any such errors under the admin account, and can program devices with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just tried it:

• my Arduino (latest version) is installed in /Applications. I am using the latest MacOS 10.12.4
  • created a new user (non-admin)

The IDE works fine. I can open and compile the examples.

Try reinstalling the IDE. Try "repair permissions" from the disk utility

Does it make a difference if I install the IDE as admin or as the non-admin user? For a couple steps I would have to enter my admin password, but does installing it on the non-admin account change any small pertinent details?

Regarding permissions, I had trouble finding it. Here is what the apple website says about it:

"Beginning with OS X El Capitan, system file permissions are automatically protected. It's no longer necessary to verify or repair permissions with Disk Utility."

I figured it out. Turned out to be a Java permissions problem. Thanks to my school's IT department, I have pretty strong Parental Control settings.

First I updated Java using the Admin account. Then I went to System Preferences > Parental Controls. From there I enabled student access to the app JavawsLauncher.

Close out System Preferences and you're all done!