Installed twice: Can't upload to the Arduino board

I just accepted my invitation to the WebApp. I’m running Windows 10/Firefox (latest version updated today) and an Arduino Mega 2560 board on Com 6. I’m testing with Blink Without Delay. The message I’m getting is “Can’t Upload To Board” or something close to that. I installed the app twice. The first time, the app tried to install to a user that was not logged on. I changed to a logged on user. (Note: there are three users. Two are admin and the other is a user where we do all of the work. This is for enhanced security.)

I tried to upload the sketch to the 2560 board. Got the message: “Can upload to board.”

Then I installed a second time, allowing the software to store anywhere it wanted to (the user it installed to is not logged on). I still get the same error when I try to upload to the board.

Next, I tried downloading the sketch using the Arduino Software Version 1.6.10. (I know 1.6.9 is stable, and 1.6.10 has some issues, one of which I fell into.) The board works fine. I changed the timing parameter a number of times, and the board always results in an expected operation.

It appears that I have the WebApp software correctly installed. It shows as an icon (see attached capture). A right-click to the icon results in a menu with four items, the third of which displays the Agent Version: 1.0.37-1f05887.

Any ideas what I should do to get the sketch to upload to the board? Any idea for checking if the WebApp is actually looking at Com 6?

Thank you in advance.

capture.png

You select the board AND the port in the web IDE itself.
The currently listed board in the web IDE has a drop down menu to select other board and port.

Does the web IDE open when you click the first option "Go to Arduino Create" ?

Also did you click YES to installing the security certificate when you installed ?

Maybe you have to install that manual in firefox ?
Without the certificate you might hit a few issues.

Chrome works well for the web IDE.

You also probably want to install for the currently logged on user at all times.

Thank you Ballscrewbob,

I have now installed a total of five times, two on Firefox and three on Chrome.

You select the board AND the port in the web IDE itself. Yes
The currently listed board in the web IDE has a drop down menu to select other board and port. Got it

Does the web IDE open when you click the first option "Go to Arduino Create" ? Yes, but now I am getting the following message: "No plug-in connection. Uploading is disabled until you reconnect. This keeps happening.

Also did you click YES to installing the security certificate when you installed ? Yes

Maybe you have to install that manual in firefox ?
Without the certificate you might hit a few issues.

Whenever I install the installation package goes to the first User it can find, not the logged-in user. I change the directory to the logged-in user.

So, maybe the best approach is to uninstall. Is there a separate installation for each browser? I'll not attempt to uninstall until you tell me the best approach. Then, I'll do what I hope will be a clean install.

Thank you again, Vic

Maybe the best approach

How are you connecting to the internet ?
Is it via some form of VPN or tethering ?

If I were you I would uninstall
Then do a clean up before any further install.
Clear out the browser cache etc and a registry clean up too.

Seems odd that it installs to a non logged in user so I have worries about that aspect but don't know what to recommend for it. The way you are changing it could also be an issue here.

As far as a new install you might want to "Install as Administrator" (do a google search for the term)
Note that this is not your everyday administrator this an elevated install.

If you get an option for installing for ALL users I would select NO and install for just the person who is logged in currently.

You could say yes but right now you want to be able to get a stable single instance running.

Thank you, Ballscrewbob. I appreciate all of your guidance.

No, my connection to the internet is conventional. No VPN or anything like that.

I've done an uninstall and cleaned up the Registry, and I think that is where I am going to stop for awhile. The resident IDE works fine as it is. I may try again in the future, but I'd rather spend time on Arduino apps than PC tech support.