installing a library

i am trying to upload a program to rum 4d system lcd i.e ulcd-43pt to arduino uno. but when i upload it , there is an error fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory
i have also googled it but unable to resolve it. maybe i haven't installed esp8266 library properly. i've already installed it from github. can anyone guide me how can i install it and from which site ??

thanks
trivalli

ESP8266WiFi.h is part of the ESP8266 core for Arduino. That library is written for use when you're directly programming the ESP8266. This error indicates the code you're trying to compile is written for directly programming the ESP8266 so you will not be able to compile it for your Arduino Uno.

can u suggest me what should i do now?? can i use esp8266 module with arduino uno and connect 4d system lcd??

It will be helpful if you provide more information.

Post a link to where you got this program from. Please use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make it clickable. Or if you installed it using Library Manger (Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries) then say so and state the full name of the library.

Please provide more information on this 4d system lcd. The people on this forum may not necessarily be familiar with it.

You need to understand there are two ways of working with the ESP8266.

• You can use the ESP8266 as a WiFi adapter module connected to a more traditional Arduino board such as your Uno. The most common way to do this is by sending AT commands over serial from the Uno to the ESP8266 to control it. Most ESP8266 modules come with the AT firmware already installed so you don't need to worry about directly programming the ESP8266.
  • You can directly program the ESP8266. In this usage you are using the ESP8266 instead of the Uno. That is where you will use the ESP8266 core for Arduino to add ESP8266 support to the Arduino IDE. The ESP8266 is actually a much more advanced microcontroller than the ATmega328P on the Uno. It is faster and has more memory. However it does have less IO pins and the support is not quite so good as for the Uno.

i have downloaded a zip file from https://github.com/4dsystems/Arduino and then unzipped it and copied it to location of my arduino libraries.

i am using 43pt lcd of 4d systems which is a resistive touch lcd with picasso processor. it can be programmed with either workshop4d ide or the arduino ide. u can know more about that lcd from the link below:

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/uLCD_43/

i have already programmed it by means of workshop4d but now i want to program it from arduino ide.
Actually i want to display output of tcrt5000 sensor ,which can be used in the detection of reflective materials, on lcd. for that purpose tcrt5000 needs to be connected to arduino and its ouput wave should be displayed on lcd.

trivalli:
i have downloaded a zip file from https://github.com/4dsystems/Arduino and then unzipped it and copied it to location of my arduino libraries.

That's a hardware package (AKA "core"), not a library. Its purpose is to add support to the Arduino IDE for the "gen4-IoD Range of ESP8266 powered Display Modules by 4D Systems". That is a completely different product from your uLCD-43. The uLCD-43 does not use the ESP8266 so that hardware package will be of no use to you.

From a quick glance at the product page I see: "2 x Asynchronous hardware serial ports (COM0, COM1), TTL interface, with 300 baud to 256K baud." so that could be a way to communicate between the uLCD and your Uno. The Uno only has a single hardware serial port, which is used for uploading sketches to the board over USB and also communication with the Serial Monitor so I think you'll be best to use the software serial for serial communication with the uLCD:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

It's not immediately clear what this communication will consist of. The uLCD has its own microcontroller which can be programmed using their IDE. I don't know what sort of firmware might be already on your uLCD. You should spend some time reading the documentation on that page to see if you will find answers.

can i download a library from arduino.cc??

You may find what you're looking for, or a least a link to it, in the Playground if you do a search.

Which library are you looking for?
Is it available in the library manager in the IDE?

i want a library for esp8266 it is not avaliable on arduino playground

Which specific library are you looking for?

esp8266wifi.h

There is no library of that name. There is an ESP8266WiFi and an ESP8266wifi. They have very similar names but are completely different. It's very important to be precise if you want to be successful with Arduino.

can u plz guide me how can i download these libraries?

Take a deep breath. Now carefully and precisely explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish. If you would have done that from the start your question would have already been answered. I guess you think you're saving time by not typing many words but actually you're just wasting a lot of your time and ours.

Now I remember you. We've already been over this in your previous thread:

You were being slightly more coherent in that one. I don't know what has caused you to devolve so far since then.

so sorry if m not able to explain what i actually want.

as u remember i want to interface arduino uno with 4d systems graphics lcd.

whenever i tried to upload a program of that lcd on arduino uno i receive an error msg:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d-master\GFX4d.cpp:183:25: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

i just want to resolve that error and for that i am trying to install a library for esp8266 but as u told me in my previous post i was also confused that the lcd i am using i.e. ulcd-43pt doesnot have any in built wifi, then why does it needs that file or directory…

According to that, you're looking for ESP8266WiFi, capital ESP, capital W and F, small i and i?

That's this one here at github (or at least it has the same capitalisation anyway).

First, I'm going to answer your original question:

The ESP8266WiFi library is part of the ESP8266 core for Arduino. That is a hardware package that also contains several ESP8266 specific libraries. This is how you install it:

• File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs > http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json > OK
  • Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to finish
  • Scroll down the list until you see "esp8266 by ESP8266 Community". Click on it.
  • Click "Install"
  • Wait for the installation to finish
  • Click "Close"

You should be aware that the libraries bundled with the ESP8266 hardware package are only accessible when you select one of the boards of that package from the Tools > Board menu.

Since you're trying to compile a sketch for your Arduino Uno, which is not an ESP8266 board, even after installing the ESP8266 hardware package you will still get that same "fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory" error.

trivalli:
as u told me in my previous post i was also confused that the lcd i am using i.e. ulcd-43pt doesnot have any in built wifi, then why does it needs that file or directory...

It's impossible for me to say without seeing the code and having more information.

wilfredmedlin:
That's this one here at github (or at least it has the same capitalisation anyway).

That's the one but there's no point in trying to install just the library alone since it requires the entire ESP8266 hardware package.

pert:
That’s the one but there’s no point in trying to install just the library alone since it requires the entire ESP8266 hardware package.

There’s also no point in trying to install this library if you’re compiling for an Arduino Uno as this error message seems to indicate:

trivalli:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d-master\GFX4d.cpp:183:25: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

So, @trivalli, please try one more time to collect your thoughts in a coherent manner and clearly answer a few questions:

• What exact board you’re trying to program?

• What is the exact program you’re trying to compile? Where did you get it? Post it here with code tags.

• Where does the ESP8266 processor come into the picture? Are you using an ESP8286 WiFi shield that connects to an Arduino board and accepts AT modem commands? Or, is an ESP8266 your target board for the compilation? These are two very different scenarios.

We’re already a dozen replies into this thread (plus another 5 in your other thread) and you still haven’t clearly communicated what you’re trying to do. If English isn’t your primary language, then we’ll be patient. But, you got to help us a little for us to help you.