installing Arduino IDE 2.0 beta (2.0.0-beta3) startup issues

Hello,

I've just installed Arduino IDE 2.0 beta (2.0.0-beta3) on Windows 10 and when started it does load fully, it just gives me the follow screen (see screen shot below), none of the menu options ive tried e.g. opening a document will perform any action. Any ideas how to get around this? I want to use version 2 to get around a issue with version one which isnt letting me upload to the Arduino Portenta.

see screen shot below

?

Please do this:

• Start File Explorer (AKA Windows Explorer).
  • Open the Arduino IDE’s installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE or C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Programs\Arduino IDE)
  • In the folder listing of the Arduino IDE installation folder, hold the Shift key while clicking the right hand button on the mouse.
  • Click “Open PowerShell window here” (or “Open command window here” if using Windows 7). PowerShell (or cmd if using Windows 7) will now open with the current directory set to the Arduino IDE installation folder.
  • Type & ".\Arduino IDE" (or if using cmd, type "Arduino IDE").
  • Press Enter. Debug output should now be printed to the PowerShell window as the Arduino IDE starts (or fails to start).
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the PowerShell window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Right click on the title bar of the PowerShell window.
  • Click Edit > Select All. This will select all the text in the PowerShell window.
  • Press Ctrl + c. This will copy the contents of the PowerShell window to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Ctrl + V. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the “Post” button.

Hopefully that will give us some information we can use to help you with the problem.

I'm not the original poster, but my symptoms appear the same - Win10, 20H2 Build 19042.844.

Install goes ok, then I launch it and it hangs with the splash screen over top of the IDE. I gave it 20 minutes, in case it had some final wrap-up to do. No change. IDE menus are non-responsive, other than closing the app.

One of the other threads suggested changing the local port number, so I did (as you'll see below).

Captured the output from PowerShell (and I added a little extra whitespace around the lines with 'ERROR'

PS C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE> '.\Arduino IDE.exe'
.\Arduino IDE.exe
PS C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE> & '.\Arduino IDE.exe'
PS C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE>
Starting backend process. PID: 10204
Configuring to accept webviews on '^.+\.webview\..+

It seems to be looking for git. I do have git.exe but did not imagine a dependency. My git.exe is here:

C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-2.6.5\resources\app\git\mingw64\bin

I'm not really a git user, but I added that path to my system, opened a fresh PS console and tried again. It is still hung in the same apparent way. The PS shell has one more line - for the git.exe

root INFO Using Git [2.29.2.windows.3] from the PATH. (C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-2.6.5\resources\app\git\mingw64\bin\git.exe)

A quick inspection of the tasklist - several Arduino processes, but not really "consuming" much cpu. When I gave up and closed the IDE they all disappeared.

Arduino IDE.exe                636 Console                    1     66,564 K
Arduino IDE.exe               9580 Console                    1     58,352 K
Arduino IDE.exe              11772 Console                    1     87,232 K
Arduino IDE.exe              16020 Console                    1     34,508 K
arduino-cli.exe               2420 Console                    1     18,784 K
Arduino IDE.exe              13556 Console                    1     64,264 K
Arduino IDE.exe              17144 Console                    1    124,832 K
Arduino IDE.exe              14596 Console                    1     44,044 K
Arduino IDE.exe               6580 Console                    1     63,864 K

I'm not sure what the next step is - but to sit back and see if this information is helpful. hostname.
root WARN please install @theia/electron@1.11.0-next.c9db9754 as a runtime dependency
root INFO Configuration directory URI: 'file:///c%3A/Users/SWComp/.theia'
root INFO Theia app listening on http://localhost:36208.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:/c%3A/Users/SWComp/.arduinoIDE/plugins does not exist.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:/c%3A/Users/SWComp/.arduinoIDE/extensions does not exist.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:C:\Users\SWComp.arduinoProIDE\plugins does not exist.
root INFO PluginTheiaDirectoryHandler: accepting plugin with path
root INFO Resolved "cortex-debug" to a VS Code extension "cortex-debug@0.3.7" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-arduino-language-server" to a VS Code extension "vscode-arduino-language-server@0.0.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-cpp" to a VS Code extension "cpp@1.52.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-json" to a VS Code extension "json@1.46.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-json-language-features" to a VS Code extension "json-language-features@1.46.1" with engines:
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "cortex-debug@0.3.7" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\cortex-debug\extension\dist\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "vscode-arduino-language-server@0.0.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-arduino-language-server\extension\dist\bundle"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "cpp@1.52.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-cpp\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "json@1.46.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-json\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "json-language-features@1.46.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-json-language-features\extension\client\dist\jsonMain"
root INFO Deploy plugins list took: 86.8 ms
root WARN Backend ConfigServiceImpl.onStart is slow, took: 667.7 ms
daemon INFO Starting daemon from C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\node_modules\arduino-ide-extension\build\arduino-cli.exe...
daemon INFO Using config file: c:\Users\SWComp.arduinoIDE\arduino-cli.yaml
daemon INFO arduino-cli.exe version 0.16.1
daemon INFO Setting up Prometheus metrics on :9090/metrics
daemon INFO Starting daemon on TCP address 127.0.0.1:50052
daemon INFO Daemon is now listening on 127.0.0.1:50052...
daemon INFO Daemon is running.
daemon INFO Checking signature [index: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json, signaturefile: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json.sig, trusted: true]
daemon INFO Checking if CLI is Bundled into the IDE
daemon INFO Loading hardware from: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages
daemon INFO Loading package esp8266 from: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware
daemon INFO Loaded platform [platform: {ID:"esp8266:esp8266",Installed:"2.7.4",Latest:"2.7.4"}]

root ERROR Could create client for gRPC.

root INFO Git askpass helper is listening on http://127.0.0.1:36221.
root WARN Frontend CommonFrontendContribution.configure is slow, took: 2937.0 ms
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/body-parser
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/cookie
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/express
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/fs-extra
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/lodash.debounce
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/lodash.throttle
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-dom
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-virtualized
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/route-parser
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/safer-buffer
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ws
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/yargs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/monaco
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/editor
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/rimraf
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/tar-fs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/uuid
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/navigator
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/p-queue
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/preferences
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/electron
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/messages
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/diff
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/dompurify
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/mime
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/request
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/dateformat
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/deepmerge
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/glob
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/google-protobuf
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/js-yaml
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ncp
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ps-tree
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-select
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-tabs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/sinon
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/temp
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/which
root WARN Failed to resolve module: temp

root ERROR Error: Git installation not found.
    at C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\node_modules\find-git-exec\lib\find-git-exec.js:69:69

It seems to be looking for git. I do have git.exe but did not imagine a dependency. My git.exe is here:

§DISCOURSE_HOISTED_CODE_1§

I'm not really a git user, but I added that path to my system, opened a fresh PS console and tried again. It is still hung in the same apparent way. The PS shell has one more line - for the git.exe

§DISCOURSE_HOISTED_CODE_2§

A quick inspection of the tasklist - several Arduino processes, but not really "consuming" much cpu. When I gave up and closed the IDE they all disappeared.

§DISCOURSE_HOISTED_CODE_3§

I'm not sure what the next step is - but to sit back and see if this information is helpful.

swcomputing:
It seems to be looking for git.

I think this is a red herring. There is an issue where an optional Git integration feature causes this error message:

but Arduino IDE still works fine in this case. You just can't use the Git integration feature, which doesn't have anything to do with the true Arduino sketch functionality of the IDE.

I think this is the error message to focus on:

swcomputing:
root ERROR Could create client for gRPC.

Communication with Arduino CLI, which handles all non-GUI related tasks for Arduino IDE 2.x, is done over a gRPC interface. So if a gRPC client can't be created then the IDE can't do anything.

Note that there is a typo in this error message. It should say "Could not create client for gRPC.". I submitted a fix for that yesterday:

I'm not sure what is causing this. I will bring it up with the developers at our meeting Monday to see if they can give me some pointers for troubleshooting this sort of issue. I'm finding that this complete change in the IDE technology means that some of the techniques that served me well with the classic IDE are no longer relevant.

To make sure all the relevant information is available to interested parties, here is the link to the other thread where someone reported the same "root ERROR Could create client for gRPC" error:

I downloaded the March 18th release, and I'm experiencing the same behavior. The splash screen stays on top - seemingly forever.

The log from powershell appears the same as my previous posting. This time, I ran SysInternals Process Monitor as I launched Arduino 2.0. I don't know fully know what to expect, but as I filtered for the Arduino PID and then Result != SUCCESS, there were over 14,000 records.

The records were a mix of Registry hooks and file system records. Just with a visual scan, the "Results" with the highest frequency of occurrence appeared to be

• NAME NOT FOUND
  • BUFFER OVERFLOW
  • BUFFER TOO SMALL

There were others, but they were far less frequent. With so many records, it was a bit overwhelming since I don't have a sense of what to look for.

The console item:

[color=#222222]root ERROR Could create client for gRPC[/color]

seemed interesting, so I searched the ProcMon report for gRPC.

I found it was referencing at least a couple of folders that do not exist.

Between my original report and this one, I did the Add and Remove Programs - and uninstalled all Arduino. I did not manually search the registry to see if fragments remained behind.

The last line of the console log seemed to be searching for git. In ProcMon, it appears it went on a hunt across the file system, searching many many folders.

I find this interesting, because there is a version of git that is in the system path and accessible from the same console window that I ran Arduino from.

swcomputing:
I downloaded the March 18th release, and I'm experiencing the same behavior.

Yeah, unfortunately the developers have not found a fix for this "root ERROR Could not create client for gRPC" issue, so it is expected that anyone who was having it with 2.0.0-beta.3 will also get it with any later version.

swcomputing:
The console item:

root ERROR Could create client for gRPC

Is that the exact error message you're getting, or is it "root ERROR Could not create client for gRPC"? The reason I ask is because the original error message was missing that "not", but my pull request to correct the message was merged since then. So I would expect that with any recent version of Arduino IDE 2.x the message would have the "not".

swcomputing:
I find this interesting, because there is a version of git that is in the system path and accessible from the same console window that I ran Arduino from.

That is strange. If I run Arduino IDE 2.x on my Windows 10 system with Git installed, I don't get this error. But if I run it on a fresh Windows 10 installation I do get the "An unexpected error occurred when locating the Git executable". But even on the machine that gives that error about Git, I can't reproduce the "Could not create client for gRPC" issue. So they definitely don't always come hand in hand.

swcomputing:

root ERROR Could create client for gRPC

Hello @swcomputing. I was finally able to reproduce this "Could not create client for gRPC" issue. I think this will be a good step forward in the investigation of the issue, but I'm not 100% sure that the cause for the error I found is the same as the one affecting you. So it will be extremely useful if you can help me out by trying something on your computer and then reporting the results here.

Please rename this folder:

C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Arduino\libraries

to this:

C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Arduino\libraries.disable

In the above paths, replace "<user name>" with your Windows user name.

Now try to start Arduino IDE 2.x. If it's more convenient for you, you can just start it normally rather than via the command line.

Please let me know if the Arduino IDE 2.x now starts fully for you, or whether you still have the same problem as before where it hangs on the splash screen.

Please don't delete the "libraries.disable" folder. If we find that renaming the folder allows the IDE to start, I'm hoping you'll be able to share the contents of the "libraries.disable" folder with me so I can determine exactly what it is in there causing the problem.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or if you run into any problems.

Thanks in advance!
Per

Hi Per,

Thanks for the follow-up. I had uninstalled it, so I started fresh with the Win10-64 exe installer from https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-ide/arduino-ide_2.0.0-beta.4_Windows_64bit.exe

I did install for “all users”, which I think keeps more of the install out of my profile space.

I found the libraries folder but not where you expected. It is at

c:\Users\<my username>\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries

This folder has a timestamp from moments ago, so I know it is fresh.

• Pre-rename: The program started as before (to say that it hung in the same way and with the same messages in the Powershell window).
  • Then I renamed the libraries as you suggest, to libraries.disable.
  • Post-rename: Running the executable from the shell hung the same way.

I was surprised to see the libraries under my profile. I was also surprised to see so little in the libraries folder - just a Servo folder, and a readme.txt file.

\---Servo
    +---docs
    +---examples
    |   +---Knob
    |   |   \---images
    |   \---Sweep
    |       \---images
    \---src
        +---avr
        +---mbed
        +---megaavr
        +---nrf52
        +---sam
        +---samd
        \---stm32f4

Obvious Differences:

• I installed for All Users, not just for me
  • OneDrive is in the path to the libraries folder.

I wonder about the OneDrive factor. OneDrive has its place, but in my mind, this is not one of them. I also wonder about the few number of files in the libraries folder - perhaps the install failed and some dependency is now missing?

swcomputing:
I found the libraries folder but not where you expected. It is at

c:\Users\<my username>\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries

I apologize for the bad instructions. I normally don’t assume the sketchbook location when providing support due to this sort of potential variation in its location, but my usual approach of telling the user to check the location in the Arduino IDE’s File > Preferences > Skethbook location doesn’t work so well when the IDE won’t start up.

swcomputing:

• Pre-rename: The program started as before (to say that it hung in the same way and with the same messages in the Powershell window).
  • Then I renamed the libraries as you suggest, to libraries.disable.
  • Post-rename: Running the executable from the shell hung the same way.

Thanks so much for the information. This does indicate that probably the cause of the “Could not create client for gRPC” is different for you than the way I found to cause it (corrupting the metadata of a library).

But this information about OneDrive is definitely useful. In the past, there have been reports of OneDrive breaking the classic Arduino IDE when the IDE couldn’t access the OneDrive cloud storage. For example:

In that case, the classic IDE provided a useful error message that allowed the problem to be tracked down quickly. We’re not so fortunate this time around.

I have another thing you can try:

Open this file in a text editor:

c:\Users\<my username>\.arduinoIDE\arduino-cli.yaml

In that file, you’ll see a line that looks something like this:

user: c:\Users\<my username>\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino

Change that path to point to any other convenient folder outside of OneDrive. For the sake of the experiment, I would recommend also avoiding using any paths that are under locations that Windows might impose extra restrictions on, such as C:\Program Files.

Save the file.

Now try starting the Arduino IDE 2.x again.

Same result - sadly - splash screen stays in place, for as long as I have the patience to watch it.

I did electronically compare my first PowerShell report to this one. There are some subtle differences, I'm sure based on the changes in the v2 release, but I did not see anything different enough to recognize it as a particularly reportable. But here it the new log, since I may not know what to look for.

I do appreciate your work, and that of the development team. There are a few other topics related to 2.0 install - but not very many. I don't know if that means I might be one in one-hundred, or in one-hundred-thousand...

PS C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE> & '.\Arduino IDE.exe'
PS C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE>
Starting backend process. PID: 17600
Configuring to accept webviews on '^.+\.webview\..+

hostname.
root WARN please install @theia/electron@1.11.0-next.c9db9754 as a runtime dependency
root INFO Configuration directory URI: 'file:///c%3A/Users/SWComp/.theia'
root INFO Theia app listening on http://localhost:2045.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:/c%3A/Users/SWComp/.arduinoIDE/plugins does not exist.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:/c%3A/Users/SWComp/.arduinoIDE/extensions does not exist.
root WARN The local plugin referenced by local-dir:C:\Users\SWComp.arduinoProIDE\plugins does not exist.
root INFO Resolved "cortex-debug" to a VS Code extension "cortex-debug@0.3.7" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-arduino-tools" to a VS Code extension "vscode-arduino-tools@0.0.1-beta.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-cpp" to a VS Code extension "cpp@1.52.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-json" to a VS Code extension "json@1.46.1" with engines:
root INFO Resolved "vscode-builtin-json-language-features" to a VS Code extension "json-language-features@1.46.1" with engines:
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "cortex-debug@0.3.7" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\cortex-debug\extension\dist\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "vscode-arduino-tools@0.0.1-beta.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-arduino-tools\extension\dist\bundle"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "cpp@1.52.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-cpp\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "json@1.46.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-json\extension"
root INFO Deploying backend plugin "json-language-features@1.46.1" from "C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\plugins\vscode-builtin-json-language-features\extension\client\dist\jsonMain"
root INFO Deploy plugins list took: 289.0 ms
root WARN Backend ConfigServiceImpl.onStart is slow, took: 2208.9 ms
daemon INFO Starting daemon from C:\Program Files\Arduino IDE\resources\app\node_modules\arduino-ide-extension\build\arduino-cli.exe...
daemon INFO Using config file: c:\Users\SWComp.arduinoIDE\arduino-cli.yaml
daemon INFO arduino-cli.exe version 0.17.0
daemon INFO Setting up Prometheus metrics on :9090/metrics
daemon INFO Starting daemon on TCP address 127.0.0.1:50051
daemon INFO Daemon is now listening on 127.0.0.1:50051...
daemon INFO Daemon is running.
daemon INFO Checking signature [index: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json, signaturefile: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json.sig, trusted: true]
daemon INFO Checking if CLI is Bundled into the IDE
daemon INFO Loading hardware from: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages
daemon INFO Loading package esp8266 from: C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware
daemon INFO Loaded platform [platform: {ID:"esp8266:esp8266",Installed:"2.7.4",Latest:"2.7.4"}]
root ERROR Could not create client for gRPC.
root INFO Git askpass helper is listening on http://127.0.0.1:2065.
root WARN Frontend CommonFrontendContribution.configure is slow, took: 2478.4 ms
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/body-parser
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/cookie
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/express
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/fs-extra
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/lodash.debounce
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/lodash.throttle
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-dom
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-virtualized
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/route-parser
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/safer-buffer
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ws
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/yargs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/monaco
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/editor
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/rimraf
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/tar-fs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/uuid
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/navigator
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/p-queue
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/preferences
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/electron
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @theia/messages
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/diff
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/dompurify
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/mime
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/request
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/dateformat
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/deepmerge
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/glob
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/google-protobuf
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/js-yaml
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ncp
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/ps-tree
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-select
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/react-tabs
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/sinon
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/temp
root WARN Failed to resolve module: @types/which
root WARN Failed to resolve module: js-yaml
root WARN Failed to resolve module: temp
root WARN Frontend keybindings.onStart is slow, took: 121.0 ms
root INFO Using Git [2.29.2.windows.3] from the PATH. (C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-2.6.5\resources\app\git\mingw64\bin\git.exe)

Hi @swcomputing. The developer of Arduino IDE 2.x has now made an improvement in how it handles this type of error. It's not a fix, but it provides a detailed error output right in the GUI. So we get more information about the problem and it's visible to people even if they didn't start from the command line. I think it might help us to identify what is causing this on your system.

This is now available from a tester build. If you don't mind, please do this:

• Log in to a GitHub account. I'm hoping you have one because the tester builds are only available for download when you're logged in. If not, you can wait a few days for it to become available in the nightly build.
  • Open this page: ATL-1137: Show error when could not connect to CLI · arduino/arduino-ide@33dcb5c · GitHub
  • From under the "Artifacts" section of the page, click on "Windows_X86-64_zip" (or you can click on one of the Windows installer versions if you prefer that).
  • Wait for the download to finish.
  • Unzip the downloaded file.
  • Unzip the file inside the unzipped folder (yes, I know that's silly, but it's a restriction of the GitHub system). Or if you downloaded the installer version then run the installer.
  • Start the "Arduino IDE.exe" from inside the unzipped folder (or the installation if you used the installer).
  • If all goes well, the IDE should get past the splash screen and show an error notification in a box at the bottom right corner of the IDE window. If so, please copy and paste the full text in a reply here.

swcomputing:
I do appreciate your work, and that of the development team. There are a few other topics related to 2.0 install - but not very many. I don't know if that means I might be one in one-hundred, or in one-hundred-thousand...

It would be interesting to know how many people are using it. I think most novices would shy away from using beta stage software (and rightly so), so I'm guessing the majority of users are sticking with the old faithful 1.8.13 for now, but I have been happy to see some of the more advanced users give the beta and nightly versions a try and provide valuable feedback.

This is actually a moment of opportunity for interested parties to get involved and help to steer the development of the new features. It becomes much more difficult to make changes once an interface has been firmly established because changing it would create disruption for the users. But when it comes to new features, there is flexibility in how it's implemented.

This is a step forward - past the splash screen!

I ran it once after unzipping it deeper in the “Downloads” folder, and picked up two error messages.
I noticed that after, 20 or 30-some seconds, they both auto-disappeared. I then moved the folder to a path “closer to root”, but also where the app should have had full permissions. Same apparent result.

First message (upper of the two):

Request loadSketch failed with message: 2 
UNKNOWN: cannot initialize package manager: 
error loading hardware packages: 
loading hardware from C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages: 
loading package esp8266: invalid version dir C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\xxxxxx2.7.1: 
no major version found

Second message:

There was an error creating the sketch directory. See the log for more details. 
The application will probably not work as expected.

For my second run, after relocating it, I captured the Admin PowerShell console output. [I adjusted the whitespace around each block of ‘ERROR’ to make them easier to spot.

Run1_w_ESP.txt   [See Attachment of this name, which avoids the 9000 char limit of a posting]

It was unhappy about the ESP package, so I took the approach to simply move that whole directory out of the packages folder, and then I re-ran it. [Same error messages and the following log]

Error Message 1, which changed after I removed the ESP package.

Request loadSketch failed with message: 2 UNKNOWN: downloading builtin:ctags@5.8-arduino11 tool: Get "https://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/ctags-5.8-arduino11-pm-i686-mingw32.zip": dial tcp: lookup downloads.arduino.cc: no such host

Error Message 2:

There was an error creating the sketch directory. See the log for more details. The application will probably not work as expected.

and the PowerShell log:

Run2_wo_ESP.txt   [See Attachment of this name]

end of long post.

Run2_wo_ESP.txt (13.2 KB)

Run1_w_ESP.txt (13.9 KB)

Yay! It's so helpful to have this information for troubleshooting instead of the previous inscrutable message.

swcomputing:
First message (upper of the two):

Request loadSketch failed with message: 2 
UNKNOWN: cannot initialize package manager: 
error loading hardware packages: 
loading hardware from C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages: 
loading package esp8266: invalid version dir C:\Users\SWComp\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\xxxxxx2.7.1: 
no major version found

Did you manually rename the "2.7.1" folder to "xxxxxx2.7.1" at some point?

swcomputing:
Error Message 1, which changed after I removed the ESP package.

Request loadSketch failed with message: 2 UNKNOWN: downloading builtin:ctags@5.8-arduino11 tool: Get "https://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/ctags-5.8-arduino11-pm-i686-mingw32.zip": dial tcp: lookup downloads.arduino.cc: no such host

I think this is now the thing preventing the Arduino IDE 2.x from working. The other errors you see in the terminal all result either from not being able to download this file or the tool being missing due to not having been downloaded.

Can you open that link https://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/ctags-5.8-arduino11-pm-i686-mingw32.zip on the computer's browser?

Is there anything special about the network that might be causing the Arduino IDE 2.x from accessing the Internet? Something like a firewall or proxy?

did I rename to the xxxxxx2.7.1?

Uh, perhaps if I thought that might help solve the issue, but I don’t recall doing so.

Can you open that link https://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/ctags-5.8-arduino11-pm-i686-mingw32.zip on the computer’s browser?

Yes. that opened a zip which had a folder and a single ctags.exe in it.

Perhaps I should uninstall, and remove folders, to get “clean” and then install 2.0 again? I’m ok with a totally clean-sweep if that gives me the best chance of success.

I can reproduce this “dial tcp: lookup downloads.arduino.cc: no such host” if I disconnect my computer from the Internet.

I can provide you with instructions for installing these “builtin” tools (ctags, serial-discovery) manually, but if the IDE can’t access the Internet then you’re also going to be prevented from using Library Manager and Boards Manager as well.

SUCCESS!

But why? I don't know. Per your last note, I can verify I had internet connectivity at all times, so I suspect there was another root cause.

I came back to this just today, and here's what I did.

• I uninstalled the previous build.
  • I also have several build environments on my PC, perhaps this was a factor to what tools were found-first in the system path?
  • I have Visual Studio Community 2019, gnu ARM under VS2019, Atmel Studio, MBED Studio, and I independently installed support for ESP8266 and ESP32. There is also a separate CMake, and a mingw make and compiler under Strawberry Perl.
  • These have all been installed for a very long time - but this morning I spent a little time rearranging items in my system path, giving favor to VS 2019, then ESP, and lastly Strawberry Perl.
  • I reinstalled 2.0 (I think it was the same version) using the Windows msi file.
  • I launched it and it loaded ok. Added a board manager, opened a prior project, and it compiles.

With just limited testing so far, it appears to work.

Arduino is not in the system path, but if it does happened to be related to what tools were found first (make, gcc, etc.), I guess this would not surprise me. I don't have a better explanation right now.

I also Have a problem with Arduino IDE 2.0 beta 5 but there is only one error message only, but mine is a bit different
Here is the errors
–Unable to watch for file changes in this large workspace. Please follow the instructions link to resolve this issue.

Hi @arunav1. This is a known bug:

It doesn’t indicate any actual problem. Please just ignore it. It should be fixed in an upcoming release of the Arduino IDE 2.x.

I also have an another error
Error: 2 UNKNOWN: installing tool arduino:avrdude@6.3.0-arduino17: moving extracted archive to destination dir: rename C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\tmp\package-639606991\avrdude C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17: Access is denied.