Installing Driver Software onto Lenovo Yoga 2 via Windows 10

Hey everyone,

I have recently gotten my first Arduino (Micro) and I have been having a lot of trouble setting it up. I recently installed the most recent version of the Arduino IDE (1.6.12), but I am having issues getting my computer to read the Arduino when it is plugged in.

I would expect some kind of pop up indicating that something have been plugged into the USB port but there is no notification, and when I open my computer's device manager, there is nothing that indicates an Arduino. In fact, there are not even options for Ports or other devices when the Arduino is plugged into my computer. I have also tried to go down the route of 'Add Legacy Hardware' but I got an error code (Code 10 specifically) and then when I went into the IDE the 'Port' option under tools is greyed out and I cannot change it.

Is there a chance that I need to install any specific drivers or is there something else that I need to do? I have already gone through the troubleshooting page which directed me to the FTDI website where I downloaded two different drivers (neither of which helped the situation). I also do not believe it is an issue with the actual Arduino board itself or the cord as the green LED on the top of the board turns on when I plug it in, along with a blue light underneath the board.

Thank you guys in advance for all of your help.

If its a clone board then google CH340 or CH341

You may need those drivers.

The Micro doesn't use FTDI or CH340. It has the ATmega32U4 microcontroller which has built in USB support so no external chip is required. The driver is located in the drivers subfolder of the Arduino IDE installation folder. The Micro should show up in the "Other devices" section of Device Manager before the driver is installed. If it's not showing up there then likely installing a driver will not help because your computer isn't even recognizing the device. One thing to try is a different USB cable. Some USB cables are for charging only and thus don't have the data lines connected. Data lines may also be disconnected on a faulty USB cable.

I have a clone micro with ch340 somewhere here. Also have a micro without USB at all so not sure what I bought now ?

Either way they both work.

A few variations on minis also lying around gathering dust right now too.

Do you have a link to where you bought that Micro with the CH340? I’d be interested in seeing how that works. The one without USB sounds strange since the main reason for choosing the more expensive ATmega32U4 for a board design is the USB feature. I’m actually not a big fan of the Micro/Pro Micro/Leonardo. I only use them when I need the Keyboard/Mouse functionality, otherwise I much prefer the ATmega328P based boards. That said, my most frequently used Arduino based device uses a Pro Micro connected to my PC doing keyboard emulation.

I'm sorry Pert I don't without digging through a heap of eBay lists going back quite a bit. I was buying other stuff from some site and saw a super cheap price and well you know how it is on there ..

pert: The Micro doesn't use FTDI or CH340. It has the ATmega32U4 microcontroller which has built in USB support so no external chip is required. The driver is located in the drivers subfolder of the Arduino IDE installation folder. The Micro should show up in the "Other devices" section of Device Manager before the driver is installed. If it's not showing up there then likely installing a driver will not help because your computer isn't even recognizing the device. One thing to try is a different USB cable. Some USB cables are for charging only and thus don't have the data lines connected. Data lines may also be disconnected on a faulty USB cable.

It was the cable! You're a GENIUS!