Installing New Firmware On Wi-Fi Shield (connected to Arduino UNO) issues

Hello all, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this over. I’m currently working on a project that requires the Arduino to receive Wi-Fi signals and decode them. I have bought a Wi-Fi shield and hooked it into the device, but am having trouble actually updating the firmware on the shield. I’ve been following this guide with little luck:
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/WiFiShieldFirmwareUpgrading
So far I’ve attempted the firmware update on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and Windows (Windows 7 64 Home Premium) with no luck. On linux the update fails to install the HD wifi elf file. On Windows, batchisp always says it has encountered a reading error with the elf file. I am unsure if the Windows issue has to do with the location of the elf file, but I have it located in a folder in the Flip bin, directly in the Flip bin folder, directly in and in a folder in Users/ and each time it tells me that it has encountered a reading error. When I tell it to retry twice, it supposedly finishes the update. I doubt this however, because I’ve been testing the scan for available networks code located here:

The shield is literally a foot from the router generating an unsecured open signal and keeps saying that 0 networks were found. The serial port monitor shows that the shield has a mac address of 0.0.0.0, which may or may not be an issue, I’m unsure. Below is a summary of the devices I have and the operating system I am running it on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Operating Systems attempted: Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Devices: Arduino Uno, Arduino Wi-Fi shield

Hi Joseph,

Please forgive me if this is obvious but your post title "(connected to Arduino Uno)" suggests you have the Uno connected during the firmware update??

You shouldn't upgrade the shield while it's mounted on an Arduino.

Edit: I've managed to successfully update the firmware using this tutorial!

http://www.dfrobot.com/community/how-to-upgrade-arduino-wifi-shield-firmware-on-windows.html