Insulation

My latest project crams a nano, 16 RGB LED’s, plus controllers into a sardine can (literally!). Everything works great out of the can, but once I get it all packed in, the electronics get flaky. I’ve used heat shrink tubing as much as possible, but there’s still a lot of exposed wires. I’ve Googled spray/liquid insulators, but the array of options has me overwhelmed. Could someone suggest specific products for coating both the components and the can (separate products for each would be fine). Thanks very much!

Line the tin with kapton tape perhaps, its tough stuff...

Check the inside of the can with an Ohmmeter. The can is coated with insulating material to protect the steel can, unless you have sanded it all off. Look for the problem elsewhere.

Paul

How about a picture?.. you mention exposed wires… being tightly packed into a can they can short against each other. It might be an issues where you need to add insulation or it may be a situation where you should re-do the wiring so there are no exposed wires.

I am just guessing but It sounds like it is wired with prototyping wires and a plug board. I would simply wire everything direct and solder the connections. You can pot the Arduino when finished and all is working.

So I see two possibilities:

1. The can causing conduction where you don't want it (i.e. the above discussion)

2. Squeezing the electronics together is causing an issue.

To test 2) you can make a small cardboard box (perhaps from the back of a pad) the same size as your metal can. If you can fit it is and still operating then the problem is likely 1)

If you don't have Kapton tape I would use a manila file folder cut and taped to make a can liner.

John

Elby:
My latest project crams a nano, 16 RGB LED’s, plus controllers into a sardine can (literally!). Everything works great out of the can, but once I get it all packed in, the electronics get flaky. I’ve used heat shrink tubing as much as possible, but there’s still a lot of exposed wires. I’ve Googled spray/liquid insulators, but the array of options has me overwhelmed. Could someone suggest specific products for coating both the components and the can (separate products for each would be fine). Thanks very much!

Can you please post a picture of your project?
What do you mean by exposed wires, do they have insulation on them?
Have you soldered you wires?
Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

See what can be achieved with a hot melt glue gun on any exposed conections.

John.