Integrating a BPX43-4 phototransistor to Uno R3 project

Hi all,

I am looking to integrate an Osram BPX 43-4 NPN phototransistor to my Arduino project as a light sensor. I cannot find any specific info on libraries or sketches online. Has anyone used this component before and can point me in the right direction?

I’m still new to Arduino and have built a simple prototype using an Arduino Uno R3, MicroSD, DS3231 RTC and DS18 to measure and record temperature.

Can I adapt a standard library like analogRead() used for other 3 pin analog components? I believe i’m essentially reading a voltage across a 0-1023 count with the BPX 43-4.

I have attached the BPX 43 datasheet for reference.

Thanks
Rizz

BPX 43.pdf (566 KB)

Why did you choose a phototransistor, and what will you use it for? The phrase "light sensor" doesn't mean much.

To measure light intensity levels, most people use calibrated digital modules, like this one. They are cheap, accurate, cover an extremely wide range of illumination levels and are easy to use.

I believe i'm essentially reading a voltage across a 0-1023 count with the BPX 43-4

No, that is not how they work. Additional circuitry is required; e.g. a power source and a suitable resistor, or an op amp transimpedance amplifier.