Integrating "professional PID" and others with DIY Arduino Flight Controller

I'm back, asking yet again for help on my quadcopter.

Anyway, I am only a 10th grader. I am an amateur programmer with a passion for building.

What I'm trying to say is that I am no expert with coding or electronics. My knowledge in those fields are limited (although I wish to expand them)

I am building an Arduino quadcopter. I have the basic controller things setup, like controlling the motors wirelessly. I also have yet to integrate my MPU6050 to my drone, but I'm researching.

Now my question is, once I get my gyro setup, is it possible for me to integrate something like CleanFlight or BetaFlight with my setup? I cannot configure PIDs by coding the PID calcs myself. I don't know how. And I also don't know how to add some expert programmer's PID code/library to mine for stability control

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

P.S. not to be rude, but if someone provides like a "see this: http://www.site.com" please explain something along with it.

JeromeAriola:
I'm back, asking yet again for help on my quadcopter.P.S. not to be rude, but if someone provides like a "see this: http://www.site.com" please explain something along with it.

I guess you've been reading some threads here like that? But it usually goes with some request for information that's all over the net. It's better to save detailed explanations for specific topics or questions that are identified by the poster. It saves a lot of yadda yadda that may or may not be helpful.

I tried, but all I keep getting is people who try to instal stm32 or something in ßF using an Arduino.

Nobody on the net has tried what I'm doing, unless I havent found something

I normally search first, then ask.

JeromeAriola:
is it possible for me to integrate something like CleanFlight or BetaFlight with my setup?

What are they?

I think you have been around long enough to know to provide links to documentation for things you mention.

...R

Here’s the site for Cleanflight, and here’sthe Betaflight README.

Based on reading those, I learned that they are flight controllers but I have my.own specific FC tailored to work with nRF24l01 and is Arduino focused. I want to to stay in spirit with the whole DIY vibe, but a t the same time be making things that work.

I cannot configure PIDs by coding the PID calcs myself. I don't know how.

That is pretty easily remedied, as the actual code can be as short as 3-4 lines, and there are dozens of tutorials and detailed explanations of how PID works on the web.

The difficult, "professional" aspect of PID is picking the right combination of Ki, Kp and Kd (three constants per controlled variable that are specific to your system). Google "PID tuning" for tutorials on how to do that.

My guess is that both CleanFlight and BetaFlight are very complex pieces of software. In any case it does not look as if they would work on an Atmega 328.

As @jremington says, spend a bit of time learning about PID. I'm not sure if my PID stuff will clarify or confuse :slight_smile:

...R