Intel Galileo

Hy guys, I have a question for you. Is it possible to use Bridge library with Intel Galielo to run particular shell commands? Or is it possible in general give commands through the Arduino IDE to the linux board?

Thank you

Is it possible to use Bridge library with Intel Galielo to run particular shell commands?

Let us know when you've tried it.

Or is it possible in general give commands through the Arduino IDE to the linux board?

The IDE doesn't allow you to give commands to anything.

Let us know when you've tried it.

I've tried to upload some bridge library sketches but the complier responds that there is not a file called Bridge.h so I can not say anything about it

kor1989: Hy guys, I have a question for you. Is it possible to use Bridge library with Intel Galielo to run particular shell commands? Or is it possible in general give commands through the Arduino IDE to the linux board?

Thank you

I believe the UART pins (0,1) are connected to the PC, so instead of using the serial monitor, you could just run a shell with input/output connected to the serial connections. You can then send a text line to the shell, and it will do something, and write the results to standard output, that you can read.

Yes the UART pins are directly connected (reference https://intel-communities.jive-mobile.com/api/core/v2/documents/21836/binaryBody) to micro but I don't know how to send commands directly to the Linux shell instead to see them on the serial port. Do you know a tutorial to do that? Thank you a

There is no bridge on the Galileo, where as the Yun has two processors that talk to each other over a bridge the Galileo has only one processor and so anything you do has to be done with that.

Thank you Grumpy_Mike But is there a way to execute shell commands even if there is a single processor? I try to explain what I want to do: When I press a button I want to execute a particular python program on the Linux side of the Galileo which is saved into the micro-SD. Is this possible with Galielo or I have to do that with a Yun?

kor1989: Thank you Grumpy_Mike But is there a way to execute shell commands even if there is a single processor? I try to explain what I want to do: When I press a button I want to execute a particular python program on the Linux side of the Galileo which is saved into the micro-SD. Is this possible with Galielo or I have to do that with a Yun?

It should be possible but I don't know exactly how. The way I would approoach is to look at some sort of interrupt generation with the ISR filling the input buffer with the command. Just a guess as Linux is not my thing

And if do I use python with a kind of Firmata? I used this tutorial http://playground.arduino.cc/interfacing/python to understand how it is possible to program Arduino directly from python. So I could use

import os

and then use a command like

os.system(‘mpg321 aMp3File.mp3 &’)

to run a mp3 directly from Arduino. But a question, using the standard firmata does the Arduino go slower in executing a single loop cycle ?

And if do I use python with a kind of Firmata?

I would not think so, Firmata designed for taking instructions from the serial port so if you load it it will take over the whole machine.