Interest for LED Martix board/CCShield board

I am wondering what interest there is for a modular led matrix board. This will be for a single LED matrix 32mm x32mm 8x8 led:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowcius/sets/72157620898562245/

Board design just being finalized...

The board would allow the matrices to be connected together side to side with no gaps and allow you to make any size matrix by just plugging them into each other. Boards would be sold in ones with the board and LED matrix for probably about £10 $16 not including VAT or in a pack of 4 or 9 or 16 for prices yet to be determined. I am just waiting on a reply from the production company on costs of boards...

I have also designed a 2x2 (16x16) led matrix board that would be a direct plug-in to the CCShield LED board. This would be hovering around the $20-25 mark depending on board cost...

CCShield:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235795499/0

Anyway, any interest?

I would also be interested if anyone would like a matrix board for something specific, but the modular boards would allow you to make matrices of any size and shape, not just rectangles. It would allow you to make a square with a gap in the middle with jumper cables (could also be supplied) for example...

Mowcius

Are you aware of the LED displays from Sure Electronics? US$10 for 8x32 or 16x24 mono color LEDs, with controller on board.

I had seen some similar but not for such a good price...

I am still going to produce a few boards for myself as those boards will not quite satisfy my needs so if anyone else would like one then just say so...

They look like a pretty good buy though, any idea of how friendly the controller is for it? I have read in a comment that someone used an arduino with one but I will have to look into it...

Mowcius

This is the thread where you can find details: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1225239439/0

Price and ease of use are unbeatable. I bought a bunch and I find them very easy to use (with the code from the above mentioned thread).

It looks like a few people have had issues with brightness and other things. I think that I will get one or two to fiddle with. The boards I have designed do not have any issued with brightness and all LEDs will be driven from the constant current M5451 chip but will be flashed to light individual LEDs... This means that the brightness should be consistent and as I said, with the modular boards, any size/shape matrix can be built.

It is not a competitor product as such, more of a different product. It will be cheaper than the alternative from sparkfun and the sparkfun boards are not modular...

Mowcius

I'd be interested if the price is right. You do have competition from Sure Electronics, but of course you have to pay a hefty whack for the P&P from China.

The modular single LED matrix boards would probably be around $4 each. I am still hunting for the best place to get the boards produced.

The CCShield board is looking like it will be more along the line of $10-15 so better than I thought originally. This would be a direct plug and play job into the CCShield.

but of course you have to pay a hefty whack for the P&P from China.

You are in the UK so it would be pretty cheap for me to post them out to you :) But people in the US, it would obviously be slightly more.

Mowcius