Interest in having PCBs made.

Hello,

We am wondering how much interest there is in the UK of having your PCB files processed onto a PCB and sent back. For now, we are going to just make your PCBs but soon we hope to add many more exciting features.

Thanks,

Sreeteja Jonnada, ByteLogic Inc.

P.S Our first post. We were not sure where to post this. Hope we did it right!

The Products and Services section seems like a better place for this post - hopefully some friendly mod will move it for you.

In the hobbyist domain your competition will be from Iteadstudio, Seeedstudio, and OSH Park. If you can compare your service to theirs -- and show how you can beat them in some way -- then you'll get interest.

Chagrin: In the hobbyist domain your competition will be from Iteadstudio, Seeedstudio, and OSH Park.

If I am not mistaken, those services are in America right? We are based in the UK, and I think that there is a gap in the market here.

Sreeteja Jonnada ByteLogic Inc

P.S Hopefully someone will Peter!

ByteLogic_inc: If I am not mistaken, those services are in America right? We are based in the UK, and I think that there is a gap in the market here.

I can't speak for the others, but Seeedstudio (at least the PCB portion) is in China.

correct Seed & IteadStduio are located in China..

......and people dont care.

ALOT of people still use them.

Why? price. quality is good/decent (not the BEST per se`...but pretty good still).. and for the prices.. they cant be beat!.

Every once in a while we get a post like this.. new pcb fab firm..etc.. and they dont stick around long.. while the others DO, and are still being used over & over..

usually MUCH higher prices (with some reason as to why they are different, diff. location this or that on why they are more expensive) getting price quotes on their site (automated) is either non-existent or difficult to navigate with odd pricing structure quality is no good.

my honest advice is:

1.) compete with prices like iTeadStudio (if you can) 2.) spend a lot of time and focus on the GUI/interface on your website for getting quotes, sending in gerber files... 3.) pcb options (colors, board thickness, e-testing..etc)

good luck!

Thanks for the useful tips xl97! We weren’t even thinking about different colour PCBs! What would you say is a good pricing structure? If I am not mistaken, we are going to go with per cm2. Is this good, or is there is a better pricing system that you lot would prefer?

Sreeteja Jonnada
ByteLogic Inc.

ByteLogic_inc:
Thanks for the useful tips xl97! We weren’t even thinking about different colour PCBs! What would you say is a good pricing structure? If I am not mistaken, we are going to go with per cm2. Is this good, or is there is a better pricing system that you lot would prefer?

Sreeteja Jonnada
ByteLogic Inc.

Per square cm is a good way to go if your customers are mostly prototyping, i.e. only making 2-3 boards to test the water. If you are near universities with EE programs then find a way to make yourself known to their faculty and students. They will appreciate one more option. I encourage you to also offer 10,50,100,200 pcs of boards fit inside predefined space such as 5cm5cm, 105 1010 1020 etc. That’s what I do when I need to bag 100 kits that I designed. I even order 10 pcs for prototyping, just in case the design is successful, I can just add them to my stock. Since you are in UK, add some rush service for UK and EU customers that iTead or Seeed can’t do. You will get some edge. It’s more work on your part but you have to stand out with something others can’t offer. Sometimes I wish I could rush orders.

Hi-

I dont really have any original advice.. LOL (sorry)

I have just looked at the most popular.. and why?

price is ALWAYS going to be a popular 'reason' behind a customs purchase.. (always)..

by size seems most popular and gives the end user a way to measure their needs vs cost.. as well as protects your interests (such as resources/cost of doing business).. where the break even/profit margin is for you there.. is up to you guys to work out. :)

I would say 'price' and the way users can interface/communicate/send files to you guys (easy, stream-lined..etc) will be KEY to your success..

I mean I have ZERO interaction with iTeadStudios (unless a problem occurs of course).. its ALL automated..

I purchase... I reply to email with my order# and my gerber files to be created.. I wait a few days.. I get automated acceptance email.. and life is good.. and then wait for package to arrive..

easy for me.. no hand holding or time wasted on customer 'sales' (only customer service) for them..

Im not sure how it is over there.. of if many share my opinion.. but or ME..

the 'hacker/makerspace' movement is getting bigger and bigger..

more DIY.. more tinkerers more prototyping

its on the rise and only getting more attention..

its a very nice market to target...

even if yo prices were a "LITTLE" more than SEED/iTeadStudios.. I think you would still do fairly well if quality was same/better..

I believe they benefit from repeat/quantity of customers..

I have mine made by Itead and Elecrow. No problems with either company, Elecrow offer colour as a free option, v-grooving as a pay-for-option on panelised boards, and send a photo of the completed order before despatch.

As a hobbyist delivery time isn't an issue so it would take something extraordinary for me to change to a UK supplier, of which there are several already.

We're in the UK, and although we're mainly a software company, we sometimes get asked do microcontroller-based electronic design and prototyping. So far, we've used Itead for PCB manufacture. They have about a 20-day turnaround time to the UK, although I think we can shorten that a bit if we pay more for delivery. The European-based PCB fab houses we've looked at charge nearly 10 times as much, which is why we haven't used them. I think there might be a market for a UK-based company that charges 2 to 4 times more than Itead for small quantities and provides a much shorter turnaround time.

Thank you all for your amazing input! We now have lots of ways we can try to compete with the likes of IteadStudios! We are going to try very hard to keep the costs down. A quick look on the Royal Mail website show that Royal Mail first class delivery is £1.60. This is not tracked and they aim to get it in 1 day. Although I think that some people would like to track their parcels, which we are thinking of offering for large orders as it is quite expensive to track and have it delivered by 1 PM the next day. The same specifications in the price finder show that it costs £6.95. Now I personally feel that this is quite expensive for a set of PCBs. What do you guys think?