Interesting music project

Hello, I'm 16, I have been experiencing arduino for a while and I really got into it! I saw a lot of beautiful projects in instructables.com and I will try to do some...

But what I really want to do is MY project :)!

I want to create with my arduino uno and some modules (maybe EasyVR, maybe mp3...) a robot that will listen continuously to human speaking... and when he hears a "tag" of a song... he plays the song (about ten seconds from it):). Example:

John: Hello, how are you? Peter: Fine, you? John: Where were you yesterday? The robot: "Yesterday... all my troubles seemed far way..."(Beatles)(5-10 seconds)

I'll use a 3-switch method: OFF, AUTOMATIC (robot listen continuously), MANUAL (it listens only while pressing a push-button).

What I want to do is use a microsdcard that is controlled like that:

yesterday.mp3 (the 10 seconds sample) yesterday.txt (contain all tags separated by commas or one tag per line- what is easier to code?)

Plus I will add an lcd that display the title of the song and the artist.

The help I want can be just listing the material will need, or telling me how to code, or both! :)

Waiting for your answers impatiently!;)

I want to create with my arduino uno and some modules (maybe EasyVR, maybe mp3...) a robot that will listen continuously to human speaking... and when he hears a "tag" of a song... he plays the song

Sorry I think this is way out of the reach of what an arduino can do. Speech recognition is almost impossible at the best of times but embedded into a continuous listening system just steps up an order of magnitude. So nice idea but I don't think it is on.

Thank you for ur quick answer man!

But in my opinion, if we have a shield similar to easyvr (easyvoice recognition) and another like mp3 shield...

we could combine them! indeed, the easyvr associate what you speak to text words (google "easy vr arduino")

if we do a loop easyvr will give us "text content" (words) that we will compare!

we can do sthg like that, cant we?

(ps: if to be listening continuously is really difficult, i ll do a push button that activates the voice recognition only while pressed)

It’s a good idea :). Recently i’m using the shield EasyVR with arduino and it’s really nice! (even if i’ve problems with the sounds download). Unfortunately, the shield has limitations: it may have at maximum 32 user-defined Speaker Dependent (so, for your project at maximum 32 song names), the microphone should stay about 15 - 20 cm from the speaker’s mouth for a best recognition, moreover for your application i recommend you to use a mp3 shield with audio files in a sd card because the module has a limitated flash memory for the sounds.

You asked if you could do it on your arduino. Now what you are proposing is to do it on two separate different processors, one for mpge play back and the other for speech recognition. Yes that is possible but the results you will get are no where close to what you would expect. The speech recognition processor is in my opinion not so hot. Of course you may have lower expectations and regard the results you get as adequate.

@GrumpyMike: I understand ur point of view... you are right I didnt formulate correctly my request: I want to create a robot that INTEGRATES arduino and its main functionality is listening to a conversation and playing a song when it finds a certain tag... even if it wont be VERY effective, i still want to test it ... and if it doesnt work its okay, i will use shields and modules for other cool purpose...

@Masterpi: thank u for ur interest... I know that easyvr supports only 32, so i will only have 32 song names... but i dont mind because even with 32 well chosen it will be great! Btw today i am going to the only store that has arduino in my country (lebanon)... and i will buy some stuff... unfortunately they dont have the easyvr shield, but they have a voice recognition module... Should i wait for them to order easyvr or vrmodule is fine? what are the differences between the ? And if u would just mind, can u list me the main material i need to use for my project? thank u

sorry if i am asking a lot of questions but today after school i am going to the only electronic store hahaha ... and i dont usually go to it! (first time)

PS: is there any app for this forum?:p

EasyVR is very simple to use with arduino, in particular if you have the EasyVR Shield. But what’s the name of the vrmodule that you mentioned? Ascertain that it’s simple to connect and use with arduino! Moreover you’re understimating the problem with the microphone, its range isn’t very large - Unless you sream :slight_smile:

Unless you sream

I think you mean scream. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Grumpy_Mike:

Unless you sream

I think you mean scream. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ahah yes, scream XD

I'll try my best... And when ut succeeds, I will tell you... Does someone know how can i do this project apart from arduino (iphone app? android app? website?) Looking forward for ur answers...

Btw, I just bought yesterday a TFT PROTO touchscreen, how can i connect it to arduino and then use it?

moussaprince: I'll try my best... And when ut succeeds, I will tell you... Does someone know how can i do this project apart from arduino (iphone app? android app? website?) Looking forward for ur answers...

Btw, I just bought yesterday a TFT PROTO touchscreen, how can i connect it to arduino and then use it?

Not to flood you with ideas, but if the appropriate components can be made fabric mountable, it might be fun to be built into a clip-on tie, jacket, or vest. The mic could be placed near the knot (or collar if jacket/vest) to be used like a lavalier microphone (mitigates the distance issues). Get it prototyped with regular Arduino parts, and then approach either Leah Buechley (Lilypad) or Lady Ada (Flora) to see if the would be interested in helping to convert from Arduino prototype to Lilypad or Flora published projects with all the parts (EasyVR interface, mp3 shield, speaker, mic, etc) as sewable modules.

I don't know either of those women personally so I don't know how approachable they are with unsolicited ideas. But the more prototype work you have done the better.

Does someone know how can i do this project apart from arduino (iphone app? android app? website?)

You can use Processing, Python, Visual Basic or some other software to do the speech processing for you and send commands back to your Arduino to play the required file. You can make the whole system wireless if you don't want to have computers around your robot.

If you want to do the speech processing on a web server you can try node.js or php.

You can also give your Arduino wireless capabilities and then use an app to communicate with your Arduino from a phone.

Check out this link: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/InterfacingWithSoftware

I think you may be happy with the results. I have done something similar 10 years ago.

mmm... i think raspberry pi would be a great idea for this project, didnt it?

does someone know a project on github that is similar to mine?

if it exists in python, it will be great because i have some python skills...

btw @sbright33, what did u do exactly?