interesting new SMAD21 Boards from SparkFun

interesting new SAMD21 Boards from SparkFun: - SparkFun SAMD21 Mini Breakout - SparkFun SAMD21 Dev Breakout identical MCU as on the Zero ATSAMD21G18

Thanks Dirk67.

Unfortunately, the SparkFun SAMD21 Mini Breakout doesn't breakout the SPI header, used by the SPI library.

The Neutrino Recharged will be better I guess : it includes a battery charger :)

The SAMD21 Dev Redbord from SparkFun does include the footprint for the SPI header. Unfortunately, the board doesn't come with any headers, so that's an extra cost.

However, I do like their connectors for power and Micro USB.

Looks like Sparkfun have just modified the core of their SAMD21 Mini Breakout to include SPI on digital pins 10-13. They're using the SAMD's spare SERCOM as an SPI port on these pins.

Where have you seen these information? I've checked on their github and there's no other code than the bootloader.

Here is an interesting update to the SPI lib though.

And here

MartinL: Looks like Sparkfun have just modified the core of their SAMD21 Mini Breakout to include SPI on digital pins 10-13. They're using the SAMD's spare SERCOM as an SPI port on these pins.

I thought that this works already since this pull was merged -> https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-samd/pull/24 or am I wrong ??

Where have you seen these information? I've checked on their github and there's no other code than the bootloader.

It's on Sparkfun's SAMD21 Mini Breakout product page, in response to a customer trying to connect it to an SD card.

Member #286247 / about 6 days ago / 1 I have the SD card connected with pin 9 as the chip select. Sam won’t initialize the card. All I did was pop out the pro mini 3.3v and popped this in the board. Code compiles and downloads but won’t initialize card. The pro mini had no issues with the SD on my board.

Jimb0 / about 3 days ago / 1 The SPI port doesn’t default to pins 10-13 on the SAMD Mini like it does on the Arduino Pro Mini – that’s probably what’s causing the issues. Luckily there is an unused SERCOM port on those pins, so we should be able to make it work. We’ve released an updated Arduino board package which adds an additional board definition for the Mini boards, equipping them with SPI on pins 10-13. If you go to your Arduino Board Manager, and click “Update” on the “SparkFun SAMD Boards” package (you may have to open and close the Board Manager twice), that should add the extra “SparkFun SAMD21 Mini Breakout” option on the boards menu. Try uploading with that board selected – seems to be working for me with an SD card.

I thought that this works already since this pull was merged -> https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-samd/pull/24 or am I wrong ??

Adding the SPI and Wire interface to Sercom1 is welcome, although I believe it would also be good to have the option of turning it into a serial port as well. I'm currently using Sercom1 as an extra serial port.

Personally, I'm suprised that Arduino didn't make D10-13 the default SPI port on the Zero from the beginning, thereby maintaining backwards pin and code compatibility with the Uno.

Here's a new one from Adafruit :

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2772

Thank you for the link.