Interface with Raspberry Pi for garage door open/close

I have my Arduino Uno set up right now so that it uses the relay shield to activate my garage door remote and open/close my garage door. I have used a Raspberry Pi to run a python script that is allowing me to control several things around the house using voice commands. What I would like to do is interface the two so that I can use the voice commands on the Pi to send a command to the Arduino to open or close the garage door.

How would I go about this?

Laidgp:
I have my Arduino Uno set up right now so that it uses the relay shield to activate my garage door remote and open/close my garage door. I have used a Raspberry Pi to run a python script that is allowing me to control several things around the house using voice commands. What I would like to do is interface the two so that I can use the voice commands on the Pi to send a command to the Arduino to open or close the garage door.

How would I go about this?

I assume they are not physically close to each other ? If they are then you can plug the USB port from the Arduino into the Pi and you are in business.

You need to lookup up how to do Python serial out from the Pi and then have that as serial input to the Arduino.

As long as the distance is not excessive then standard rs-232 protocol will be fine

Craig

I have to say - it sounds as if you intend using the Arduino to function as a single transistor!

Would it not be easier to use a Slice of PI/O?

Paul__B:
I have to say - it sounds as if you intend using the Arduino to function as a single transistor!

Would it not be easier to use a Slice of PI/O?

Yep good pickup - i assumed he had other uses for the Ardunio, if not then one of the many GPIO breakouts for the Pi is the way to go

Craig