interfacign with a cell phone

Is it possible to hook a cellphone up via its data port or in any other way and have an arduino display text messages on a small LCD screen???? and also to (possibly) route call audio thru the arduino as well? that part is less mission crittical

It is, if you have multiple millions of dollars, a team of software engineers, and are willing to sign an NDA from the cellphone manufacturer. Assuming they want to play ball with you.

But you can write a small app for the phone that will talk to the Arduino via bluetooth. That would allow the two to interact.

With Android, sure. But to collect SMS messages from the phone would probably be a little complicated.

Delta_G:
But you can write a small app for the phone that will talk to the Arduino via bluetooth. That would allow the two to interact.

i have no experiance writing apps how would one go about learning that in a shorter period of time ????

bpwmd17:
i have no experiance writing apps how would one go about learning that in a shorter period of time ????

Are you expecting someone to write it for you ?

bpwmd17:

The shortest period of time might be taken by a trip to the app store first. You might find an app already there that will save you from re-inventing the wheel.

MacS7n:
Are you expecting someone to write it for you ?

no just if there were any good tutorials on the subject

Google "bluetooth serial android arduino" for lots of ideas. Very simple connection.

jremington:
Google "bluetooth serial android arduino" for lots of ideas. Very simple connection.

I also tried "android sms tutorial" and got lots of good hits.