interfacing 3 linear actuators with arduino UNO

hi guys, i need to automate the following oil extracting unit using arduino. so i did my research and found out that i could use 3 linear actuators to generate a pressure. and when i was going through i could not find any tutorials to interface three actuators altogether since the pressure has to be the same. just want to know whether i can wire them all three together with the arduino uno. as an example if i use pin 2 and pin 3 for one actuator, can i also couple the wires of the other two to the same pin? and what would i be needed except for a push button, relays, and a power supply? :slight_smile:

What sort of motors are in these actuators? Are they stepping motors?

How do you set the reference point for the actuator?
What happens when the actuator can not move to supply more force but yet you run the motor? Do the motors burn out?

For a better answer ask a better question, find out how to do this by reading How to use this forum

Almost certainly you can connect multiple such actuators to the Arduino. Plenty of outputs available.

Your big challenge will be to have them all press equally, if only because there are always small differences between individual parts.

cant i use one push button for all three actuators and for the reference point i could use it’s peak point yes?

minura:
cant i use one push button for all three actuators and for the reference point i could use it's peak point yes?

What do you mean by peak point?
Why will you not answer my questions?

using a push button to start an action is of course no problem for an Arduino but for any idea on whether your project could work you have to provide more detailed information.

minura:
hi guys,
i need to automate the following oil extracting unit using arduino.
so i did my research and found out that i could use 3 linear actuators to generate a pressure.
and when i was going through i could not find any tutorials to interface three actuators altogether
since the pressure has to be the same.
just want to know whether i can wire them all three together with the arduino uno.
as an example if i use pin 2 and pin 3 for one actuator, can i also couple the wires of the other two to the same pin?
and what would i be needed except for a push button, relays, and a power supply? :slight_smile:

Sorry but I had to try and itemize your post, to make it easier to read.
Can you post the make,model and specs of your actuators.
How much pressure do you need to exert and how are you measuring it?
How do you know what position all your actuators are at?
Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?
Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
What do you mean by peak point?
Why will you not answer my questions?

well as the reference point, i was thinking to get the actuators starting point. and for your second question i think it will, in my case im using it to pressurize yarn which is very soft.

TomGeorge:
Sorry but I had to try and itemize your post, to make it easier to read.
Can you post the make,model and specs of your actuators.
How much pressure do you need to exert and how are you measuring it?
How do you know what position all your actuators are at?
Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?
Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

for the reference i have attached an image of the unit. so basically what i need to do is add three actuators into those silver tubes. this is an oil extracting unit which we put yarn into those tubes and pressurize using force for 10 seconds. so my task is to automate it using the actuators, and keep it pressurized for 10 seconds with the same force without changing it. and after the 10 second the actuator shaft will have to move up. this should be done with two push buttons in order to control the actuator or with a small joystick. hope you guys understood it.

No attachment.

there it is

any ideas guys?

minura:
well as the reference point, i was thinking to get the actuators starting point.

What? How are you going to get this? Are you going to push it to the same point? How will you ensure they are all at the same point.

minura:
any ideas guys?

Upping a post after only 30 minuets is very bad form. People have to sleep you know.

Grumpy_Mike:
What? How are you going to get this? Are you going to push it to the same point? How will you ensure they are all at the same point.
Upping a post after only 30 minuets is very bad form. People have to sleep you know.

im gonna fabricate a metal arm and fix all three actuators. and when i press the button the shaft should go down and create pressure inside the tube. stop being so grumpy dude! just asked for help! plus it is only 3.20PM for me

So the zero point of your actuators is having them all the way up, right? And the connecting bar above the actuators, which then press down into the cylinder.

So far so good. I trust you to get actuators which can provide the required force, distance and speed.

Now how are you going to measure the exerted force by the actuator or the pressure inside the cylinder?

When you have that, and the appropriate control electronics for actuators, it's a matter of setting up a feedback loop to get to the appropriate pressure or force.

yes that is how i need it to be done. and yes i was hoping to get Actuonix mini linear actuators or maybe go with
24V large actuators. i just need to press down 2g of "YARN" inside the tube, so i think mini actuators would be alright yes?

i dont need to measure the force inside the tube, i just need all three actuators to work at the same time when the button is pressed and at the same force.

"it's a matter of setting up a feedback loop to get to the appropriate pressure or force." i quite did not get that part could you please explain it to me?

Which actuator is good for you is the one that fits in the design, and can provide the force you need.

For the force feedback loop: that's the Arduino reading the sensor and adjusting the actuators accordingly. But if you have no force sensor, that's not applicable here.

minura:
im gonna fabricate a metal arm and fix all three actuators. and when i press the button the shaft should go down and create pressure inside the tube. stop being so grumpy dude!

Do you know how liner actuators work? Normally their is either a DC motor or stepping motor inside them with no positional feedback. If you want three to work at exactly the same rate they have to start off at the same position. It seems you don't know that even when prompted. Unless they all start off at exactly the same point then they can't move to exactly the same point by applying the same signals to the motors.

just asked for help! plus it is only 3.20PM for me

Read How to use this forum for rules on how long you should leave it before bumping a thread.

wvmarle:
Which actuator is good for you is the one that fits in the design, and can provide the force you need.

For the force feedback loop: that's the Arduino reading the sensor and adjusting the actuators accordingly. But if you have no force sensor, that's not applicable here.

so basically i could couple all three together when doing the wiring yeah?

Probably - but before you get into such details you first have to figure out how much distance you need the actuators to travel and how much force they have to exert on your sample. That info you need to select a suitable actuator for your project. When you have that, you can start to think about how to wire and control them.