Interfacing a standard Uno and veroboard

HI, what is the preferred (most reliable) way of connecting Arduino to veroboard amongst the Arduino community?

Some background:

I've been working on my project which has been on breadboard until now. It comprises of several SMT chips already mounted on breakout-type boards and analogue circuits I've designed. I now need to be able to test the circuit's operation away from my bench and since I have finalised the hardware I was planning on soldering it up on veroboard.

What are the preferred ways of interfacing the veroboard and Arduino, considering I don't want a completely permanent connection as yet? However, the entire circuit might be moved around a bit and I don't want loose connections with wires slipping out of the Arduino header.

NB: the circuit is far too large to fit onto a small prototyping-type shield.

Put pins on it in the pattern of a shield, and plug it in, if it's a shield-bearing Arduino.

If it's not, I'd do the same thing, only with the pin layout of the arduino I was using (a pro mini clone would be a good choice), or I'd use male pin header and dupont connectors (male dupont connectors don't make a satisfying connection; female ones on male pin header hold very well; I get pre-pinned jumper wires w/out the connector housings, and put them into the housings myself - this also give you a chance to change the order of wires, or have 2 connectors go into one, if you're doing something where that makes sense).

I happened to have some wire-wrap pins (can't remember now why I bought them, but I never wire-wrapped anything) which made suitable connectors so I could plug a piece of veroboard onto an Uno in the style of a shield.

The width-ways (i.e. pin A0 to pin 5) spacing of the pins on my Uno did not quite match the veroboard and the wire-wrap pins were flexible enough to deal with that.

...R

a8rakadabra: HI, what is the preferred (most reliable) way of connecting Arduino to veroboard amongst the Arduino community?

the circuit is far too large to fit onto a small prototyping-type shield.

You imply a large Vero substitute for a standard shield, in which case there isn't one. Veroboard has regular hole spacing and Arduino doesn't. You could make a Veroboard shield if you are willing to dispense with pins D8>D13, which I would have thought unlikely.

I guess your options are

1. Use a large proto shield

2. Use more than one proto shield and stack them

3. Build the peripherals on Vero and use a small proto shield connected thereto with flying leads as a multi-connector

4. Build the Arduino on Veroboard

This last may be quite practical if those smaller Arduinos not designed for shields have standard 2.54 hole spacing, or just use the Uno as a chip donor.

I just finished a project using veroboard (aka protoboard; and the project is here) and I swore I'd never use that again for any project that contains more than 10 tracks. It is a pain in the butt to solder all the tiny wires and in the end it is a lot harder to debug.

Now, protoshields are a great thing. They are restrained in size, so they automatically limit you to simple projects. Besides, they already have the most important routes and tracks you need (like GND, +5V, RST, ICSP, etc) and they have all the pins in the proper place. I've built about 10 projects using protoshields (obviously, only after testing them on a breadboard).

In the end, if the project is to become a "real thing", I do etch my own boards. I've come to the conclusion that designing the project on software (even if you also build it on a breadboard), then creating the board layout from it, and finally etching your own board, is a lot better and faster than using veroboard.

DrAzzy:
Put pins on it in the pattern of a shield, and plug it in

Thanks for this, that’s a great option.

Robin2 thanks for the suggestion of wire-wraps. Might just purchase some of those even if I don’t use them on this particular project.

Nick_Pyner:
4. Build the Arduino on Veroboard

I think this and what AlxDroidDev said were essentially the same. I will probably employ this method at the end once I’m ready to put it in an enclosure.

Thanks for all your answers.

a8rakadabra: I think this and what AlxDroidDev said were essentially the same.

My emphasis was one the part that I'll never use veroboard again, unless it is a very simple project.

Quote from: DrAzzy on Jan 27, 2015, 08:04 am

Put pins on it in the pattern of a shield, and plug it in

Thanks for this, that's a great option.

It isn't, it's nonsense.

Nick_Pyner: It isn't, it's nonsense.

It worked well for me.

...R

Robin2:
It worked well for me.

“Well” is a relative term. It will likely work well with those little Arduinos that I know nothing about, but the subject is Vero with Uno. I’m afraid I assume a8raka wants to do a proper job and, in the light of what he says, probably needs to properly use all the Uno’s pins. To use vero on a Uno, you have two choices:

1. forego the use of pins 8>13 or

2. Exercise some abuse, like a hammer, to pursuade the above pins to fit - which is what I assume DrAzzy does.

I'd suggest you simply include an atmega chip on your board and then there's no need to interface it to an arduino at all.

The arduino is a great platform for development but once you have a setup that you want to use, you only need the chip.

I agree 100% with @KenF.

My use of somewhat flexible wire-wrap pins overcame the problems @Nick_Pyner refers to. I do understand what he says about "a proper job", however I would not consider any "plugged in" solution to be a proper job for long term reliability.

...R

Hi,

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xarduino+proto+&_nkw=arduino+prototype+shield&_sacat=0

Tom.... :)

Nick_Pyner: 2. Exercise some abuse, like a hammer, to pursuade the above pins to fit - which is what I assume DrAzzy does.

...or you could use these:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9374

Another possibility:

http://wardyprojects.blogspot.com/2011/05/fixing-stupid-arduino-header-spacing.html

Well, there you go, an answer for everything - even it's just paying somebody else $1.25 to do the hammering for you.

So apparently I don't actually know how to get back to posts I've created unless I search for them. Anyhow I'm here now.

Nick_Pyner: 1. forego the use of pins 8>13 or

1. Exercise some abuse, like a hammer, to pursuade the above pins to fit - which is what I assume DrAzzy does.

You're right, I tried lining up the stripboard and the Arduino but the gap between digital 7 and 8 was the issue. I ended up using a small stripboard with pin headers on leads since I didnt have time to order additional components.

cr0sh: http://wardyprojects.blogspot.com/2011/05/fixing-stupid-arduino-header-spacing.html

I've also been thinking about building a Arduino on veroboard but having seen this ill probably do that instead. Thanks for the suggestions.

AlxDroidDev: My emphasis was one the part that I'll never use veroboard again, unless it is a very simple project.

I use it all the time, the more complex the project the better. How about this one:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/RFID_Sequencer.html Or this one with vero wiring:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/RFID_Sequencer.html

Or make you own shield like this:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Arduino_Shield.html

You can even do surface mount between the tracks like this. http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html

a8rakadabra:
So apparently I don’t actually know how to get back to posts I’ve created unless I search for them. Anyhow I’m here now.

One of the “advantages” of the new Forum software - there used to be a link at the top of the page IIRC

If you click your name beside one of your posts you will get to your Profile page which has a link to your Posts.
If you can’t find a Thread with one of your posts in it then click the link at the top of the page for your Profile and then click the link to edit your Forum Preferences. That gets you to the same place.

…R

Robin2: .. click the link at the top of the page for your Profile and then click the link to edit your Forum Preferences..

Thanks for this!