Interfacing Arduino Esplora with Arduino DUE

Hello! I am interested in using the Arduino Esplora to send joystick data to my Arduino DUE or Mega. This data is going to adjust several PWM outputs for servo-motor control. Since both boards have ICSP pins could the data be sent / received through I2C? I have little experiencing connecting multiple boards together, so I am not sure if this is the right approach. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Eric

to send joystick data to my Arduino DUE or Mega

Different answer depending on what you use.
For the Due you could just connect the USB on the Esplora to the USB host on the Due and have the Due see it as a HID device.
For the Mega then using serial connections (not through USB) would seem simplest.
However you could also use I2C or SPI.

Note, the Due runs at 3.3 volts while the Esplora/Mega/Uno/Leonardo all run at 5 volts. So, you would need to use voltage conversion if you hooked up the Due.

I believe for most ways of connecting the two boards, you would have to connect the grounds between the boards.

I believe for most ways of connecting the two boards, you would have to connect the grounds between the boards.

Make that all ways.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/Power_Supplies.html

Grumpy_Mike:

Make that all ways.
Power Supplies

Well there are ways of connecting the two where you don't need common grounds, and I figured if I said you always need to connect the grounds, somebody would pipe up. For instance, you could use an optocoupler or radio device to connect the devices without need a common ground. Or any other remote signaling/sensing device that is essentially equivalent to an optocoupler (sound generator, light over fiber optic cable, color sensor, vibration sensor). You would need separate power supplies for both systems.

I would imagine if you connect the device via USB or ethernet, that you don't have to have a separate ground connection, but the USB host or ethernet adapters would include the appropriate grounding.