Interfacing Arduino with Go Karts

Hi,

I want to build an Go Kart that works on Arduino. I would get the wheels to move using 6hp Motors. I want to use arduino to move it but I am unbale to work out my electronics because I want an preasure senitive switch. I need some help with working out how I would use the switch to get the motors to move.

Thanks Prem

Hi I am unbale to work out my electronics because I want an preasure senitive switch.

Thanks Prem

Hi and welcome. I think the above sentence is the essence of your question. But the sentence doesn't make much sense. What pressure sensitive switch do you want to use ? Is it some switch you have available already (what one is it) ? Or do you need to select that switch ? What pressure is going to be used ? Is it oil, fuel, air ?

You need to ask yourself these questions. If you can't answer a question, break it down into smaller "sub" questions which are easier to answer. Once you have all smaller questions answered, the larger question can also be answered. That's how you will be able to solve the puzzle.

Please don't use two motors. One big motor is better than two small ones

cbrunnem: Please don't use two motors. One big motor is better than two small ones

Well - that depends on what this "go cart" will be used for.

For instance, if you have two drive motors in the rear, you can (with appropriate feedback circuitry) create an electronic differential, as well as implement a traction control system.

This is more difficult to do with a single motor - if it driving a single wheel, forget it. If it is driving both rear wheels thru a differential, you will then need some means of monitoring wheel speed, slowing down one wheel or the other (some kind of ABS), and/or possibly being able to variably "lock" the differential. Even then, with all of that - you won't get the same kind of control you can have with two motors (on an automobile - like an AWD system - you are a bit stuck with the former system simply because a singular engine and transmission is involved - but if you had two transmissions from the engine - one for each wheel - then it could get interesting).

premudeshi: Hi,

I want to build an Go Kart that works on Arduino. I would get the wheels to move using 6hp Motors. I want to use arduino to move it but I am unbale to work out my electronics because I want an preasure senitive switch. I need some help with working out how I would use the switch to get the motors to move.

Thanks Prem

If this is meant as something that will have a human driver - I would suggest that you keep things simple and reliable, and couple the accelerator and brake pedals each to a separate potentiometer; ideally, you would use an industrial quality linear potentiometer (just to keep things robust).

Don't try to get fancy with a project like this - trust me, you'll have more than enough challenges ahead of you without incorporating a novel control system.

6HP is a way too ambitious for a first project.

MarkT: 6HP is a way too ambitious for a first project.

How do you know it's his first project? Certainly his first post, but that doesn't mean it is his first project...