Interfacing Laptop, Playstation 3 controller, Arduino (bluetooth in the future)

Hi!

I was searching on the net and have found numerous articles on how to interface a playstation controller DIRECTLY with an arduino. However, I don't really want to do that. Instead, I would like to connect both arduino and the playstation controller to my laptop, and ultimately using the playstation controller to control the servos on my arduino. Thus, the computer will receive the commands from the playstation controller and send it to the arduino via USB (the same one used to upload sketches). I am using a sixaxis playstation 3 controller.

In the future, I would hope to replace the USB cable with a bluetooth module (one on the laptop, the other to the USB Host shield on the arduino).

Right now, can anyhow advise me on how to do it via the USB (wired) method first?

Thanks very much!!

Instead, I would like to connect ... the playstation controller to my laptop

Go right ahead. Then, write an application on the PC that reads data from the controller, and sends stuff to the serial port.

Then, program the Arduino to read data from the serial port, and move the servos appropriately.

The second step will be easy, once you have the first step working.

In the future, I would hope to replace the USB cable with a bluetooth module (one on the laptop, the other to the USB Host shield on the arduino).

As opposed to buying the right hardware for the Arduino? Sure. Let us know how that works out.